Oct 21, 2010, 3:23 PM EDT
Despite pleas from Gary Green of On the Fly, Carolina Hurricanes forward Erik Cole will not face league discipline for his hit on Los Angeles Kings defenseman Drew Doughty, according to Bob McKenzie of TSN.
As for Cole-Doughty, NHL apparently believes contact was accidental/incidental so no discipline will be forthcoming.
It’s hard to tell from the video clips found, but the hit didn’t seem particularly malicious to me. There surely will be howling about it from pockets of the NHL, especially Kings fans, but it’s nothing like the hit Cole suffered years ago from Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik.
What do you think? Should Cole be punished, whether it be a fine or a suspension? Let us know in the comments. If you need to take another look, here’s the video of that hit one more time.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)