Oct 21, 2010, 3:23 PM EDT
Despite pleas from Gary Green of On the Fly, Carolina Hurricanes forward Erik Cole will not face league discipline for his hit on Los Angeles Kings defenseman Drew Doughty, according to Bob McKenzie of TSN.
As for Cole-Doughty, NHL apparently believes contact was accidental/incidental so no discipline will be forthcoming.
It’s hard to tell from the video clips found, but the hit didn’t seem particularly malicious to me. There surely will be howling about it from pockets of the NHL, especially Kings fans, but it’s nothing like the hit Cole suffered years ago from Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik.
What do you think? Should Cole be punished, whether it be a fine or a suspension? Let us know in the comments. If you need to take another look, here’s the video of that hit one more time.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)