Oct 21, 2010, 1:17 PM EDT
This was mentioned briefly in the recap last night, but the Columbus Blue Jackets got some bad news Wednesday as rugged forward Ethan Moreau broke his right hand blocking a shot against the Anaheim Ducks last night.
Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch writes that Moreau knew something was wrong right away and that he’ll be out for “the foreseeable future.”
Portzline points out that tough guy Derek Dorsett moved up to Moreau’s spot during the game and would be a “logical choice” to remain in that role.
“It’s broken,” Blue Jackets coach Scott Arniel said. “It’s going to be a while.”
This is a big blow for the Blue Jackets, who had relied on Moreau early this season to play on the checking line and top penalty kill. He had embraced the role of dressing room leader, too, with several young players gravitating to his locker stall after many practices.
Moreau isn’t the kind of guy who would light up the scoreboard, but as the former captain of the Edmonton Oilers, he brings a veteran presence that can be helpful in a room full of inexperienced players.
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 0
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 24
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 6
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)