Oct 21, 2010, 1:17 PM EDT
This was mentioned briefly in the recap last night, but the Columbus Blue Jackets got some bad news Wednesday as rugged forward Ethan Moreau broke his right hand blocking a shot against the Anaheim Ducks last night.
Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch writes that Moreau knew something was wrong right away and that he’ll be out for “the foreseeable future.”
Portzline points out that tough guy Derek Dorsett moved up to Moreau’s spot during the game and would be a “logical choice” to remain in that role.
“It’s broken,” Blue Jackets coach Scott Arniel said. “It’s going to be a while.”
This is a big blow for the Blue Jackets, who had relied on Moreau early this season to play on the checking line and top penalty kill. He had embraced the role of dressing room leader, too, with several young players gravitating to his locker stall after many practices.
Moreau isn’t the kind of guy who would light up the scoreboard, but as the former captain of the Edmonton Oilers, he brings a veteran presence that can be helpful in a room full of inexperienced players.
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 0
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 11
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 70
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 64
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)