Oct 21, 2010, 1:17 PM EDT
This was mentioned briefly in the recap last night, but the Columbus Blue Jackets got some bad news Wednesday as rugged forward Ethan Moreau broke his right hand blocking a shot against the Anaheim Ducks last night.
Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch writes that Moreau knew something was wrong right away and that he’ll be out for “the foreseeable future.”
Portzline points out that tough guy Derek Dorsett moved up to Moreau’s spot during the game and would be a “logical choice” to remain in that role.
“It’s broken,” Blue Jackets coach Scott Arniel said. “It’s going to be a while.”
This is a big blow for the Blue Jackets, who had relied on Moreau early this season to play on the checking line and top penalty kill. He had embraced the role of dressing room leader, too, with several young players gravitating to his locker stall after many practices.
Moreau isn’t the kind of guy who would light up the scoreboard, but as the former captain of the Edmonton Oilers, he brings a veteran presence that can be helpful in a room full of inexperienced players.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)