Oct 21, 2010, 1:17 PM EST
This was mentioned briefly in the recap last night, but the Columbus Blue Jackets got some bad news Wednesday as rugged forward Ethan Moreau broke his right hand blocking a shot against the Anaheim Ducks last night.
Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch writes that Moreau knew something was wrong right away and that he’ll be out for “the foreseeable future.”
Portzline points out that tough guy Derek Dorsett moved up to Moreau’s spot during the game and would be a “logical choice” to remain in that role.
“It’s broken,” Blue Jackets coach Scott Arniel said. “It’s going to be a while.”
This is a big blow for the Blue Jackets, who had relied on Moreau early this season to play on the checking line and top penalty kill. He had embraced the role of dressing room leader, too, with several young players gravitating to his locker stall after many practices.
Moreau isn’t the kind of guy who would light up the scoreboard, but as the former captain of the Edmonton Oilers, he brings a veteran presence that can be helpful in a room full of inexperienced players.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 17
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (63)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)