Oct 21, 2010, 1:17 PM EST
This was mentioned briefly in the recap last night, but the Columbus Blue Jackets got some bad news Wednesday as rugged forward Ethan Moreau broke his right hand blocking a shot against the Anaheim Ducks last night.
Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch writes that Moreau knew something was wrong right away and that he’ll be out for “the foreseeable future.”
Portzline points out that tough guy Derek Dorsett moved up to Moreau’s spot during the game and would be a “logical choice” to remain in that role.
“It’s broken,” Blue Jackets coach Scott Arniel said. “It’s going to be a while.”
This is a big blow for the Blue Jackets, who had relied on Moreau early this season to play on the checking line and top penalty kill. He had embraced the role of dressing room leader, too, with several young players gravitating to his locker stall after many practices.
Moreau isn’t the kind of guy who would light up the scoreboard, but as the former captain of the Edmonton Oilers, he brings a veteran presence that can be helpful in a room full of inexperienced players.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)