Oct 20, 2010, 1:30 AM EDT
The Bruins and Tim Thomas continue to stay hot after taking out Washington at Verizon Center in D.C. 3-1. Milan Lucic became the NHL’s second player to record a Gordie Howe hat trick, getting a goal, an assist and a fight with John Erskine. Tim Thomas made 35 saves in the win, meanwhile the Caps saw starting goalie Michal Neuvirth leave the game in the first period after feeling ill. Giving up two goals on seven shots couldn’t have helped. Semyon Varlamov replaced him to see his first action of the year, stopping 13 of 14.
Calgary 1 – Nashville 0 (F/OT)
It was one heck of a return to action for Rene Bourque of the Flames as he scored in overtime to give Calgary the win. Bourque had missed the Flames’ previous two games with a concussion. Meanwhile, it appears that early reports of the demise of the Flames were not only incorrect but also hilariously dumb for being written just a few games into the season. Miikka Kiprusoff stopped all 34 shots he saw, earning him his first shutout of the season. Pekka Rinne also made his return to the Preds lineup tonight and saved 34 shots in the hard-luck loss.
While this game will get talked about more for Canucks forward Rick Rypien going after a fan, lost in all of it is the Wild continuing their dominance over Roberto Luongo in Minnesota. Six different goal scorers got on the board for the Wild, meanwhile Daniel Sedin had both goals for the Canucks. Marek Zidlicky had a goal and two assists for Minnesota while goalie Niklas Backstrom stopped 25 shots in the win. Luongo, meanwhile, gave up all six goals in just two periods of work while saving just 12 shots. That’s good for a .667 save percentage. Yuck. Cory Schneider stopped six shots in the third period in relief.
While some Carolina players aren’t too happy with their never-ending road trip to start the season, their play on the ice seems to say they’re OK with it. Five different Hurricanes potted goals while Cam Ward was his ho-hum self stopping 41 shots in earning the Canes the win. Antti Niemi looked a bit flustered in stopping just 26 shots in the loss. Chad LaRose had a goal and two assists for Carolina, meanwhile Patrick Marleau scored both goals for San Jose.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 15
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 26
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)