Oct 20, 2010, 2:08 PM EDT
The NHL has handed down at least their initial word about how they’re going to handle things with Vancouver forward Rick Rypien and his grabby hands towards a Minnesota fan. The league has suspended Rypien indefinitely pending a hearing. Given what happened last night in St. Paul and the fact the Canucks play again tonight against Chicago, the league had to do something right away.
What this does mean is that Rypien will meet with the NHL face-to-face soon, The Sporting News’ Craig Custance tweets that the NHL has requested a Friday morning meeting with Rypien to talk things over. What meeting face-to-face with the NHL generally tends to mean is a suspension of more than five games. It doesn’t mean it will happen, just that going to New York City to face the music gives the possibility of it happening. The Collective Bargaining Agreement has rules regarding these sorts of things and, yes, they are a bit funny that way.
As we discussed early this morning, we’re expecting a heavy suspension for Rypien for going after a fan. That, of course, doesn’t mean it’ll go as big as some are thinking it will, but the possibility is still there.
Got an idea of what you think his suspension should be? Let your vote be heard in our poll.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)