Oct 20, 2010, 2:08 PM EDT
The NHL has handed down at least their initial word about how they’re going to handle things with Vancouver forward Rick Rypien and his grabby hands towards a Minnesota fan. The league has suspended Rypien indefinitely pending a hearing. Given what happened last night in St. Paul and the fact the Canucks play again tonight against Chicago, the league had to do something right away.
What this does mean is that Rypien will meet with the NHL face-to-face soon, The Sporting News’ Craig Custance tweets that the NHL has requested a Friday morning meeting with Rypien to talk things over. What meeting face-to-face with the NHL generally tends to mean is a suspension of more than five games. It doesn’t mean it will happen, just that going to New York City to face the music gives the possibility of it happening. The Collective Bargaining Agreement has rules regarding these sorts of things and, yes, they are a bit funny that way.
As we discussed early this morning, we’re expecting a heavy suspension for Rypien for going after a fan. That, of course, doesn’t mean it’ll go as big as some are thinking it will, but the possibility is still there.
Got an idea of what you think his suspension should be? Let your vote be heard in our poll.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 0
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 8
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)