Oct 20, 2010, 2:08 PM EDT
The NHL has handed down at least their initial word about how they’re going to handle things with Vancouver forward Rick Rypien and his grabby hands towards a Minnesota fan. The league has suspended Rypien indefinitely pending a hearing. Given what happened last night in St. Paul and the fact the Canucks play again tonight against Chicago, the league had to do something right away.
What this does mean is that Rypien will meet with the NHL face-to-face soon, The Sporting News’ Craig Custance tweets that the NHL has requested a Friday morning meeting with Rypien to talk things over. What meeting face-to-face with the NHL generally tends to mean is a suspension of more than five games. It doesn’t mean it will happen, just that going to New York City to face the music gives the possibility of it happening. The Collective Bargaining Agreement has rules regarding these sorts of things and, yes, they are a bit funny that way.
As we discussed early this morning, we’re expecting a heavy suspension for Rypien for going after a fan. That, of course, doesn’t mean it’ll go as big as some are thinking it will, but the possibility is still there.
Got an idea of what you think his suspension should be? Let your vote be heard in our poll.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 4
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 1
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 31
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 76
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 9
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (80)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness