Oct 20, 2010, 11:13 AM EST
While we’ve seen Niklas Hjalmarsson return from his suspension for hitting Sabres forward Jason Pominville already, Pominville is still in the process of getting back into game shape to play once again. Pominville was knocked out of the game and out of the Sabres lineup by Hjalmarsson with a concussion, and getting back on the ice after that can be an arduous process.
For Jason Pominville, he’s at least happy to get back to working out to get back on the ice and discuss what happened the night he was hit from behind with The Buffalo News’ John Vogl as well as about his recovery. If you’ve never had a concussion and want an idea of what it’s like to be in such a situation (you sadist) let Pominville’s story give you an idea.
“It was definitely one of those where the puck wasn’t there and I never saw him,” Pominville said in HSBC Arena. “It’s tough for me to even take note of it. My back was turned.
“I was sleeping for two, three minutes. The trainers came out and were trying to, I don’t know what they were doing, either pinching me or trying to wake me up. Eventually, I kind of woke up and saw four, five doctors around me, so I was kind of wondering what was going on.
“But as they started asking me questions, I think my memory was pretty good. I remembered who had scored and what had happened throughout the game, so the question-answering part of it was good.”
As for his recovery, things are going well and Pominville hopes to join the team again soon but because of the concussion he’ll have a battery of tests he needs to pass in order to be able to get back to game action. The Sabres can use all the help they can get right now as they’re mired in a funk to start the season going 1-4-1 with just three points to start the season.
The offense isn’t exactly sputtering, but it’s not all that it could be either and Pominville can help that out, but only when he’s ready to get back on the ice. Until then, the Sabres are going to have to figure things out on their own and doing so fast might help ease the worries of fans in Buffalo who are clearly stressed out thanks to their poor start.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)