Oct 20, 2010, 5:19 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are feeling a bit crossed-up today as they got both a dose of good news and bad news regarding a pair of players. Since we’re not giving you the option of picking which one first, we’ll give you the good news first. Johan Franzen is feeling better after getting popped in the head by Stars defenseman Mark Fistric and he’s ready to play. As is becoming rather typical of Franzen, he’s not coming back without getting one more verbal jab in towards the league regarding the play.
“I’m surprised,” Franzen said of the lack of punishment. “I don’t know what’s going on. I’m just happy I can play.”
Franzen, of course, was quite verbal about catching a shot to the head on a play last week that saw him leave the game. Franzen called for action to be taken by the NHL right away after the game only to have those complaints fall on deaf ears.
Meanwhile, for Wings forward Kris Draper, the news isn’t as warm and fuzzy. Ansar Khan of mlive.com reports that Draper will be out 4-6 weeks after having sports hernia surgery. If you’re worried that the Wings will need to call someone up to take Draper’s spot on the roster, don’t be. Draper was already working as a scratch in the lineup and Justin Abdelkader is close to returning to action after dealing with a rib injury.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)