Oct 20, 2010, 5:19 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings are feeling a bit crossed-up today as they got both a dose of good news and bad news regarding a pair of players. Since we’re not giving you the option of picking which one first, we’ll give you the good news first. Johan Franzen is feeling better after getting popped in the head by Stars defenseman Mark Fistric and he’s ready to play. As is becoming rather typical of Franzen, he’s not coming back without getting one more verbal jab in towards the league regarding the play.
“I’m surprised,” Franzen said of the lack of punishment. “I don’t know what’s going on. I’m just happy I can play.”
Franzen, of course, was quite verbal about catching a shot to the head on a play last week that saw him leave the game. Franzen called for action to be taken by the NHL right away after the game only to have those complaints fall on deaf ears.
Meanwhile, for Wings forward Kris Draper, the news isn’t as warm and fuzzy. Ansar Khan of mlive.com reports that Draper will be out 4-6 weeks after having sports hernia surgery. If you’re worried that the Wings will need to call someone up to take Draper’s spot on the roster, don’t be. Draper was already working as a scratch in the lineup and Justin Abdelkader is close to returning to action after dealing with a rib injury.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 2
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 28
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)