Oct 20, 2010, 5:19 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are feeling a bit crossed-up today as they got both a dose of good news and bad news regarding a pair of players. Since we’re not giving you the option of picking which one first, we’ll give you the good news first. Johan Franzen is feeling better after getting popped in the head by Stars defenseman Mark Fistric and he’s ready to play. As is becoming rather typical of Franzen, he’s not coming back without getting one more verbal jab in towards the league regarding the play.
“I’m surprised,” Franzen said of the lack of punishment. “I don’t know what’s going on. I’m just happy I can play.”
Franzen, of course, was quite verbal about catching a shot to the head on a play last week that saw him leave the game. Franzen called for action to be taken by the NHL right away after the game only to have those complaints fall on deaf ears.
Meanwhile, for Wings forward Kris Draper, the news isn’t as warm and fuzzy. Ansar Khan of mlive.com reports that Draper will be out 4-6 weeks after having sports hernia surgery. If you’re worried that the Wings will need to call someone up to take Draper’s spot on the roster, don’t be. Draper was already working as a scratch in the lineup and Justin Abdelkader is close to returning to action after dealing with a rib injury.
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 2
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 16
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)