Oct 20, 2010, 5:19 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are feeling a bit crossed-up today as they got both a dose of good news and bad news regarding a pair of players. Since we’re not giving you the option of picking which one first, we’ll give you the good news first. Johan Franzen is feeling better after getting popped in the head by Stars defenseman Mark Fistric and he’s ready to play. As is becoming rather typical of Franzen, he’s not coming back without getting one more verbal jab in towards the league regarding the play.
“I’m surprised,” Franzen said of the lack of punishment. “I don’t know what’s going on. I’m just happy I can play.”
Franzen, of course, was quite verbal about catching a shot to the head on a play last week that saw him leave the game. Franzen called for action to be taken by the NHL right away after the game only to have those complaints fall on deaf ears.
Meanwhile, for Wings forward Kris Draper, the news isn’t as warm and fuzzy. Ansar Khan of mlive.com reports that Draper will be out 4-6 weeks after having sports hernia surgery. If you’re worried that the Wings will need to call someone up to take Draper’s spot on the roster, don’t be. Draper was already working as a scratch in the lineup and Justin Abdelkader is close to returning to action after dealing with a rib injury.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)