Oct 20, 2010, 5:19 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are feeling a bit crossed-up today as they got both a dose of good news and bad news regarding a pair of players. Since we’re not giving you the option of picking which one first, we’ll give you the good news first. Johan Franzen is feeling better after getting popped in the head by Stars defenseman Mark Fistric and he’s ready to play. As is becoming rather typical of Franzen, he’s not coming back without getting one more verbal jab in towards the league regarding the play.
“I’m surprised,” Franzen said of the lack of punishment. “I don’t know what’s going on. I’m just happy I can play.”
Franzen, of course, was quite verbal about catching a shot to the head on a play last week that saw him leave the game. Franzen called for action to be taken by the NHL right away after the game only to have those complaints fall on deaf ears.
Meanwhile, for Wings forward Kris Draper, the news isn’t as warm and fuzzy. Ansar Khan of mlive.com reports that Draper will be out 4-6 weeks after having sports hernia surgery. If you’re worried that the Wings will need to call someone up to take Draper’s spot on the roster, don’t be. Draper was already working as a scratch in the lineup and Justin Abdelkader is close to returning to action after dealing with a rib injury.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)