Oct 20, 2010, 12:33 AM EDT
When former Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon was replaced by Stan Bowman, the team he built to become last year’s Stanley Cup champion did right by him and made sure to reward the man who helped put together most of the roster that won it all. Today, it all came to fruition as Tallon received his Stanley Cup ring from Chicago for being one of the brains behind the operation. Coincidentally enough, he received the ring on his 60th birthday.
While in no way was it meant as a birthday present, it was pretty special none-the-less to receive it on his 60th birthday.
“Great present from the Blackhawks,” said Tallon this afternoon. “It was very classy of them to do that and I’m really proud of it and I didn’t expect anything less from them. It’s fantastic to know that I was a big part of them winning the Stanley Cup.”
Tallon received it via a special rendezvous.
“Blackhawks president John McDonough came down to Fort Lauderdale this morning and hand delivered it to me,” said Tallon. “It was a pretty special moment.”
It made for a pretty fantastic gesture on the part of the Blackhawks to give Tallon a ring, especially when they cost them $30,000 a piece. With Tallon now working as the GM of the Florida Panthers, they can now hope that Tallon’s eye for talent and team building can help bring some rings of their own to south Florida.
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 0
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 3
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)