Oct 20, 2010, 12:33 AM EDT
When former Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon was replaced by Stan Bowman, the team he built to become last year’s Stanley Cup champion did right by him and made sure to reward the man who helped put together most of the roster that won it all. Today, it all came to fruition as Tallon received his Stanley Cup ring from Chicago for being one of the brains behind the operation. Coincidentally enough, he received the ring on his 60th birthday.
While in no way was it meant as a birthday present, it was pretty special none-the-less to receive it on his 60th birthday.
“Great present from the Blackhawks,” said Tallon this afternoon. “It was very classy of them to do that and I’m really proud of it and I didn’t expect anything less from them. It’s fantastic to know that I was a big part of them winning the Stanley Cup.”
Tallon received it via a special rendezvous.
“Blackhawks president John McDonough came down to Fort Lauderdale this morning and hand delivered it to me,” said Tallon. “It was a pretty special moment.”
It made for a pretty fantastic gesture on the part of the Blackhawks to give Tallon a ring, especially when they cost them $30,000 a piece. With Tallon now working as the GM of the Florida Panthers, they can now hope that Tallon’s eye for talent and team building can help bring some rings of their own to south Florida.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 40
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 32
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22