Oct 20, 2010, 12:33 AM EST
When former Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon was replaced by Stan Bowman, the team he built to become last year’s Stanley Cup champion did right by him and made sure to reward the man who helped put together most of the roster that won it all. Today, it all came to fruition as Tallon received his Stanley Cup ring from Chicago for being one of the brains behind the operation. Coincidentally enough, he received the ring on his 60th birthday.
While in no way was it meant as a birthday present, it was pretty special none-the-less to receive it on his 60th birthday.
“Great present from the Blackhawks,” said Tallon this afternoon. “It was very classy of them to do that and I’m really proud of it and I didn’t expect anything less from them. It’s fantastic to know that I was a big part of them winning the Stanley Cup.”
Tallon received it via a special rendezvous.
“Blackhawks president John McDonough came down to Fort Lauderdale this morning and hand delivered it to me,” said Tallon. “It was a pretty special moment.”
It made for a pretty fantastic gesture on the part of the Blackhawks to give Tallon a ring, especially when they cost them $30,000 a piece. With Tallon now working as the GM of the Florida Panthers, they can now hope that Tallon’s eye for talent and team building can help bring some rings of their own to south Florida.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 70
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 95
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (95)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (87)