Oct 19, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Who said you need to be a goalie to make the save of the night?
OK, technically many people will consider this a blocked shot, but all New York Islanders defenseman Radek Martinek needed was some goalie pads and an elaborate mask to completely embrace the role of a goalie right here. Dwayne Roloson played an outstanding game last night, but Martinek saved him on this play. When you consider the fact that the Toronto Maple Leafs would have beaten the Islanders if that ended up being a goal, Martinek earned the Islanders a point and the opportunity to earn a second one in OT.
Which, of course they did … thanks to a power-play goal by John Tavares.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)