Oct 19, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Who said you need to be a goalie to make the save of the night?
OK, technically many people will consider this a blocked shot, but all New York Islanders defenseman Radek Martinek needed was some goalie pads and an elaborate mask to completely embrace the role of a goalie right here. Dwayne Roloson played an outstanding game last night, but Martinek saved him on this play. When you consider the fact that the Toronto Maple Leafs would have beaten the Islanders if that ended up being a goal, Martinek earned the Islanders a point and the opportunity to earn a second one in OT.
Which, of course they did … thanks to a power-play goal by John Tavares.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7