Oct 19, 2010, 10:15 AM EST
Who said you need to be a goalie to make the save of the night?
OK, technically many people will consider this a blocked shot, but all New York Islanders defenseman Radek Martinek needed was some goalie pads and an elaborate mask to completely embrace the role of a goalie right here. Dwayne Roloson played an outstanding game last night, but Martinek saved him on this play. When you consider the fact that the Toronto Maple Leafs would have beaten the Islanders if that ended up being a goal, Martinek earned the Islanders a point and the opportunity to earn a second one in OT.
Which, of course they did … thanks to a power-play goal by John Tavares.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 5
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 3
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 34
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46