Oct 19, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Who said you need to be a goalie to make the save of the night?
OK, technically many people will consider this a blocked shot, but all New York Islanders defenseman Radek Martinek needed was some goalie pads and an elaborate mask to completely embrace the role of a goalie right here. Dwayne Roloson played an outstanding game last night, but Martinek saved him on this play. When you consider the fact that the Toronto Maple Leafs would have beaten the Islanders if that ended up being a goal, Martinek earned the Islanders a point and the opportunity to earn a second one in OT.
Which, of course they did … thanks to a power-play goal by John Tavares.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 13
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 46
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 35
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)