Oct 19, 2010, 10:49 PM EDT
In the second period of tonight’s Vancouver Canucks game against the Minnesota Wild in St. Paul, Minnesota, Canucks agitator/fighting forward Rick Rypien lost his head a bit. OK, he lost his head a lot as Rypien apparently went into the stands and grabbed a fan as he was headed towards the locker room.
Michael Russo of the Star-Tribune reports the details via Twitter.
Rick Rypien will be suspended. He just left the ice and jumped in the stands and made contact with a Wild fan
A Wild fan was applauding at Rypien as he left, and he jumped up grabbed the fan by the shirt. He will undoubtedly made (sic) discipline
As if that wasn’t enough, Russo also contributes this note thanks to replay.
Rypien could face a long suspension. Replays show he also pushed and made contact with linesman Don Henderson before grabbing fan
Obviously we’ll be talking about this one for quite a bit and since the game is still going on now (Minnesota is drubbing Vancouver 6-1 through two periods) we’ll have more reaction and hopefully some video to share with you.
Update: Here’s (better) video of the incident via YouTube. Rypien will get suspended for this. The NHL hates negative PR for the league more than anything, and having a hot-head player reach into the stands to grab a fan that’s (likely) talking smack to them will not go over well at all.
If you’re wondering if there’s any sort of precedence for this stuff in modern times (the Bruins visiting Rangers fans in the seats at Madison Square Garden in the 70s was a different era) former Leafs enforcer Tie Domi was fined $1,000 for squirting a fan causing the fan to fall through the glass in the penalty box in Philadelphia in 2001. Different circumstances here, however, as squirting water over the glass to an irate fan isn’t the same as going into the stands to grab them. Expect Rypien to get the book thrown at him.
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 0
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 8
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 18
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)