Oct 19, 2010, 1:53 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes put their big, two-way center Martin Hanzal on the injured reserve today, according to TSN. Hanzal reportedly will miss one or two weeks with a “lower body injury” that occurred in Sunday’s game against the Anaheim Ducks.
The Yotes called up Andrew Ebbett to help fill the void, though not in a literal sense as Ebbett is 5’9″ while Hanzal is 6’5″. That’s not the only difference between the two centers, though, as Hanzal is known more for his defensive acumen while Ebbett is speedy and offensive-minded.
Ebbett’s peak will almost certainly happened during the 2008-09 season, when the small center managed to score 32 points in 48 games as a member of the Anaheim Ducks because he received a lot of minutes alongside Teemu Selanne. He’s been bouncing from team to team since then, going from the Ducks to the Chicago Blackhawks to the Minnesota Wild in 2009-10 and now Phoenix this season.
Hanzal shouldn’t miss much time, but the 27-year-old Ebbett might be looking at one of his last chances to earn some kind of small role in the NHL. The Coyotes certainly wouldn’t mind if Ebbett showed something in spot duty, either.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)