Oct 19, 2010, 1:53 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes put their big, two-way center Martin Hanzal on the injured reserve today, according to TSN. Hanzal reportedly will miss one or two weeks with a “lower body injury” that occurred in Sunday’s game against the Anaheim Ducks.
The Yotes called up Andrew Ebbett to help fill the void, though not in a literal sense as Ebbett is 5’9″ while Hanzal is 6’5″. That’s not the only difference between the two centers, though, as Hanzal is known more for his defensive acumen while Ebbett is speedy and offensive-minded.
Ebbett’s peak will almost certainly happened during the 2008-09 season, when the small center managed to score 32 points in 48 games as a member of the Anaheim Ducks because he received a lot of minutes alongside Teemu Selanne. He’s been bouncing from team to team since then, going from the Ducks to the Chicago Blackhawks to the Minnesota Wild in 2009-10 and now Phoenix this season.
Hanzal shouldn’t miss much time, but the 27-year-old Ebbett might be looking at one of his last chances to earn some kind of small role in the NHL. The Coyotes certainly wouldn’t mind if Ebbett showed something in spot duty, either.
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)