Oct 19, 2010, 1:53 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes put their big, two-way center Martin Hanzal on the injured reserve today, according to TSN. Hanzal reportedly will miss one or two weeks with a “lower body injury” that occurred in Sunday’s game against the Anaheim Ducks.
The Yotes called up Andrew Ebbett to help fill the void, though not in a literal sense as Ebbett is 5’9″ while Hanzal is 6’5″. That’s not the only difference between the two centers, though, as Hanzal is known more for his defensive acumen while Ebbett is speedy and offensive-minded.
Ebbett’s peak will almost certainly happened during the 2008-09 season, when the small center managed to score 32 points in 48 games as a member of the Anaheim Ducks because he received a lot of minutes alongside Teemu Selanne. He’s been bouncing from team to team since then, going from the Ducks to the Chicago Blackhawks to the Minnesota Wild in 2009-10 and now Phoenix this season.
Hanzal shouldn’t miss much time, but the 27-year-old Ebbett might be looking at one of his last chances to earn some kind of small role in the NHL. The Coyotes certainly wouldn’t mind if Ebbett showed something in spot duty, either.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)