Oct 19, 2010, 1:53 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes put their big, two-way center Martin Hanzal on the injured reserve today, according to TSN. Hanzal reportedly will miss one or two weeks with a “lower body injury” that occurred in Sunday’s game against the Anaheim Ducks.
The Yotes called up Andrew Ebbett to help fill the void, though not in a literal sense as Ebbett is 5’9″ while Hanzal is 6’5″. That’s not the only difference between the two centers, though, as Hanzal is known more for his defensive acumen while Ebbett is speedy and offensive-minded.
Ebbett’s peak will almost certainly happened during the 2008-09 season, when the small center managed to score 32 points in 48 games as a member of the Anaheim Ducks because he received a lot of minutes alongside Teemu Selanne. He’s been bouncing from team to team since then, going from the Ducks to the Chicago Blackhawks to the Minnesota Wild in 2009-10 and now Phoenix this season.
Hanzal shouldn’t miss much time, but the 27-year-old Ebbett might be looking at one of his last chances to earn some kind of small role in the NHL. The Coyotes certainly wouldn’t mind if Ebbett showed something in spot duty, either.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 11
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 28
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)