Oct 19, 2010, 1:53 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes put their big, two-way center Martin Hanzal on the injured reserve today, according to TSN. Hanzal reportedly will miss one or two weeks with a “lower body injury” that occurred in Sunday’s game against the Anaheim Ducks.
The Yotes called up Andrew Ebbett to help fill the void, though not in a literal sense as Ebbett is 5’9″ while Hanzal is 6’5″. That’s not the only difference between the two centers, though, as Hanzal is known more for his defensive acumen while Ebbett is speedy and offensive-minded.
Ebbett’s peak will almost certainly happened during the 2008-09 season, when the small center managed to score 32 points in 48 games as a member of the Anaheim Ducks because he received a lot of minutes alongside Teemu Selanne. He’s been bouncing from team to team since then, going from the Ducks to the Chicago Blackhawks to the Minnesota Wild in 2009-10 and now Phoenix this season.
Hanzal shouldn’t miss much time, but the 27-year-old Ebbett might be looking at one of his last chances to earn some kind of small role in the NHL. The Coyotes certainly wouldn’t mind if Ebbett showed something in spot duty, either.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 2
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)