Oct 19, 2010, 1:16 PM EST
After originally pleading not guilty, Atlanta Thrashers prospect Patrice Cormier decided to plead guilty to assault charges stemming from a hit he delivered on Mikael Tam last season. The elbow left Tam convulsing on the ice in horrifying scene, as he suffered from brain trauma and teeth damage. Here is the National Post story.
Former Quebec Major Junior Hockey League forward Patrice Cormier pleaded guilty Tuesday to a charge of assault causing bodily harm and received an unconditional discharge.[snip]
Cormier, who served as captain of Canada’s world junior hockey team last winter, was suspended for the rest of the season and was charged in May.
He received the same sentence as the son of former Montreal Canadiens goaltender Patrick Roy, who pleaded guilty to an assault charge last year and was granted an unconditional discharge.
It’s a sad situation, but Cormier has to pay the consequences for that brutal check. Tam certainly is dealing with the side effects of the hit. Who knows what kind of effect this will have on Cormier or his future with the Thrashers, but this hit will probably follow him for the early part of his career, if not his entire career.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 83
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 6
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 58
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 53
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (83)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (58)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)