Oct 19, 2010, 4:28 PM EDT
It might be a little while before he starts in net for the Atlanta Thrashers again, but there’s some good news regarding Ondrej Pavelec: he suited up for his first practice today, according to Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta-Journal Constitution.
Vivlamore reports that doctors couldn’t find any further explanation for the incident other than that Pavelec fainted. They could not determine the cause of the fainting spell, but after going through a battery of tests, Pavelec seems to think that it’s nothing serious. While the fainting aspect was worrisome yet seemingly random, he actually suffered from a concussion because he hit his head during the fall.
Pavelec reportedly participated in 30 minutes worth of practice, or about half of the session.
Vivlamore discussed what this means for the goalie’s short-term future.
There is no timetable for Pavelec to return. Tuesday was about getting him on the ice and facing some goaltending duties.
“I’m medically cleared right now, but it will take time to get into game shape. They didn’t say when I’m going to be back. Hopefully as soon as possible. I need a couple more practices.”
Pavelec said he did not expect to be ready for either of the team’s upcoming two games – Wednesday against Buffalo and Friday against Tampa Bay. Coach Craig Ramsay said he did not anticipate that Pavelec would need a rehab start at AHL Chicago.
Pavelec, who suffered headaches from the concussion caused by the fall to the ice, said they are gone now after three or four days. He underwent a final neuro-psych test two hours before Tuesday’s practice and expected the results later in the day.
So it sounds like Pavelec he won’t be back until Saturday’s game in Washington, although a Wednesday, October 27 game in Atlanta against Buffalo is far more likely.
Whenever he returns, it’ll be pretty difficult to root against Pavelec. Hopefully that fainting spell was just a one time thing and he can resume what was looking like a pretty promising NHL career.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 0
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 26
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 32
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 29
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)