Oct 19, 2010, 2:20 PM EDT
Matt Walker is known to many as “the guy who went to the Philadelphia Flyers in the Simon Gagne trade.” He won’t get an opportunity to prove that he’s much more than that anytime soon, as hip surgery will reportedly keep the big defenseman out 10-12 weeks.
Walker will undergo surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right hip, as well as, a “boney impingement,” Holmgren said Tuesday. The surgery is scheduled for Wednesday in Nashville, Tenn., by noted orthopedic and hip specialist, Thomas Byrd.
Walker, who was the seventh or eighth defenseman in training camp depending on what day it was, will miss 10-12 weeks, Holmgren said.
So it’s not exactly a tragedy for the Flyers, considering how low he is on the team’s totem pole. Tim Panaccio points out that Walker will probably go on the injured reserve, but not the LTIR because Michael Leighton is already taking up that spot.
Walker’s salary cap hit is $1.7 million this season, so Philadelphia will get a little cap relief to move some pieces around if they see fit. Again, he wasn’t likely to get more than the occasional start anyway, so it’s not a major loss for Philly.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 16
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 34
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)