Oct 19, 2010, 2:20 PM EST
Matt Walker is known to many as “the guy who went to the Philadelphia Flyers in the Simon Gagne trade.” He won’t get an opportunity to prove that he’s much more than that anytime soon, as hip surgery will reportedly keep the big defenseman out 10-12 weeks.
Walker will undergo surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right hip, as well as, a “boney impingement,” Holmgren said Tuesday. The surgery is scheduled for Wednesday in Nashville, Tenn., by noted orthopedic and hip specialist, Thomas Byrd.
Walker, who was the seventh or eighth defenseman in training camp depending on what day it was, will miss 10-12 weeks, Holmgren said.
So it’s not exactly a tragedy for the Flyers, considering how low he is on the team’s totem pole. Tim Panaccio points out that Walker will probably go on the injured reserve, but not the LTIR because Michael Leighton is already taking up that spot.
Walker’s salary cap hit is $1.7 million this season, so Philadelphia will get a little cap relief to move some pieces around if they see fit. Again, he wasn’t likely to get more than the occasional start anyway, so it’s not a major loss for Philly.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 5
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 57
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (59)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)