Oct 19, 2010, 5:17 PM EST
Sadly, the NHL will see far less red afros for the time being.*
That’s because the Columbus Blue Jackets put defenseman and occasional afro enthusiast Mike Commodore on the injured reserve today. He apparently went down with an “upper body injury” during the Blue Jackets’ October 9 game in Stockholm, Sweden.
He’s one of the NHL’s most colorful characters, even when he isn’t rocking that ginger ‘fro or taking awkward half-naked photos with his winnings from Super Bowl bets. That colorful nature shows through in his Twitter account, among other things.
As far as Commodore the defenseman, not the character, he’s a been of an up-and-down guy. When he’s on top of his game, he can be quite useful, though. He was a valuable part of a Carolina Hurricanes team that won a Stanley Cup during the 2005-06 season and also helped the Calgary Flames come within a game of winning a Cup in the final season before the lockout.
* – Actually, Commodore doesn’t always grow out his hair to red afro from what I know, it might even be the equivalent of a playoff beard (on his skull). But are you going to complain about afro jokes? I sure hope not.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)