Oct 19, 2010, 5:17 PM EDT
Sadly, the NHL will see far less red afros for the time being.*
That’s because the Columbus Blue Jackets put defenseman and occasional afro enthusiast Mike Commodore on the injured reserve today. He apparently went down with an “upper body injury” during the Blue Jackets’ October 9 game in Stockholm, Sweden.
He’s one of the NHL’s most colorful characters, even when he isn’t rocking that ginger ‘fro or taking awkward half-naked photos with his winnings from Super Bowl bets. That colorful nature shows through in his Twitter account, among other things.
As far as Commodore the defenseman, not the character, he’s a been of an up-and-down guy. When he’s on top of his game, he can be quite useful, though. He was a valuable part of a Carolina Hurricanes team that won a Stanley Cup during the 2005-06 season and also helped the Calgary Flames come within a game of winning a Cup in the final season before the lockout.
* – Actually, Commodore doesn’t always grow out his hair to red afro from what I know, it might even be the equivalent of a playoff beard (on his skull). But are you going to complain about afro jokes? I sure hope not.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)