Oct 19, 2010, 5:17 PM EDT
Sadly, the NHL will see far less red afros for the time being.*
That’s because the Columbus Blue Jackets put defenseman and occasional afro enthusiast Mike Commodore on the injured reserve today. He apparently went down with an “upper body injury” during the Blue Jackets’ October 9 game in Stockholm, Sweden.
He’s one of the NHL’s most colorful characters, even when he isn’t rocking that ginger ‘fro or taking awkward half-naked photos with his winnings from Super Bowl bets. That colorful nature shows through in his Twitter account, among other things.
As far as Commodore the defenseman, not the character, he’s a been of an up-and-down guy. When he’s on top of his game, he can be quite useful, though. He was a valuable part of a Carolina Hurricanes team that won a Stanley Cup during the 2005-06 season and also helped the Calgary Flames come within a game of winning a Cup in the final season before the lockout.
* – Actually, Commodore doesn’t always grow out his hair to red afro from what I know, it might even be the equivalent of a playoff beard (on his skull). But are you going to complain about afro jokes? I sure hope not.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)