Oct 19, 2010, 5:17 PM EDT
Sadly, the NHL will see far less red afros for the time being.*
That’s because the Columbus Blue Jackets put defenseman and occasional afro enthusiast Mike Commodore on the injured reserve today. He apparently went down with an “upper body injury” during the Blue Jackets’ October 9 game in Stockholm, Sweden.
He’s one of the NHL’s most colorful characters, even when he isn’t rocking that ginger ‘fro or taking awkward half-naked photos with his winnings from Super Bowl bets. That colorful nature shows through in his Twitter account, among other things.
As far as Commodore the defenseman, not the character, he’s a been of an up-and-down guy. When he’s on top of his game, he can be quite useful, though. He was a valuable part of a Carolina Hurricanes team that won a Stanley Cup during the 2005-06 season and also helped the Calgary Flames come within a game of winning a Cup in the final season before the lockout.
* – Actually, Commodore doesn’t always grow out his hair to red afro from what I know, it might even be the equivalent of a playoff beard (on his skull). But are you going to complain about afro jokes? I sure hope not.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)