Oct 19, 2010, 2:51 PM EDT
A couple weeks ago, it seemed like Montreal Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov was on the road to recovery, but Louis Jean of Sportsnet.ca reports that the talented offensive blueliner isn’t feeling strong enough for a return just yet.
The Russian blueliner was hoping to resume play on Thursday against the New Jersey Devils but says he doesn’t feel strong enough. Markov underwent reconstructive knee surgery to repair a torn ACL in his right knee during the off-season. No timetable has been set for his return.
This is some tough news for the Montreal Canadiens. The Habs could really use Markov’s presence on the powerplay, as the team is currently the least efficient in the league with a wobbly 5.9 percent conversion rate. Markov put together 34 points in only 45 games last season, so if he can get healthy he should be able to help Montreal get their PP together.
It just won’t happen anytime soon.
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 1
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 14
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 4
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights