Oct 18, 2010, 3:46 PM EDT
Rangers playmaking forward Vinny Prospal underwent knee surgery today and the Rangers announced that he’ll be out for 6-8 weeks. Prospal’s injury status has been a bit murky lately, leading to speculation that Prospal could miss a significant amount of time this season and put his career in jeopardy. Instead, there’s a timetable squared away for when he’ll be able to rejoin the team and get things worked out, setting things up so that Prospal could return at the same time as captain Chris Drury.
The Rangers have been without Prospal through training camp and the start of the season, but last year for New York, he scored 20 goals and finished the year with 58 points, putting him second on the team in scoring behind Marian Gaborik. The Rangers now feature a lineup without Prospal, Gaborik, and Drury and they’ll have to find offense from somewhere. Look for the pressure to be thrown on the shoulders of Alex Frolov and rookie Derek Stepan to try and score goals while those three players are out.
Goalie Henrik Lundqvist’s job also got a lot more stressful as well considering he’ll have to be beyond fantastic making sure opponents don’t score. If the Rangers can keep it together while Drury and Prospal are out, they’ll be in good shape for when they return.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 4
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 41
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)