Oct 18, 2010, 3:46 PM EDT
Rangers playmaking forward Vinny Prospal underwent knee surgery today and the Rangers announced that he’ll be out for 6-8 weeks. Prospal’s injury status has been a bit murky lately, leading to speculation that Prospal could miss a significant amount of time this season and put his career in jeopardy. Instead, there’s a timetable squared away for when he’ll be able to rejoin the team and get things worked out, setting things up so that Prospal could return at the same time as captain Chris Drury.
The Rangers have been without Prospal through training camp and the start of the season, but last year for New York, he scored 20 goals and finished the year with 58 points, putting him second on the team in scoring behind Marian Gaborik. The Rangers now feature a lineup without Prospal, Gaborik, and Drury and they’ll have to find offense from somewhere. Look for the pressure to be thrown on the shoulders of Alex Frolov and rookie Derek Stepan to try and score goals while those three players are out.
Goalie Henrik Lundqvist’s job also got a lot more stressful as well considering he’ll have to be beyond fantastic making sure opponents don’t score. If the Rangers can keep it together while Drury and Prospal are out, they’ll be in good shape for when they return.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)