Oct 18, 2010, 3:46 PM EDT
Rangers playmaking forward Vinny Prospal underwent knee surgery today and the Rangers announced that he’ll be out for 6-8 weeks. Prospal’s injury status has been a bit murky lately, leading to speculation that Prospal could miss a significant amount of time this season and put his career in jeopardy. Instead, there’s a timetable squared away for when he’ll be able to rejoin the team and get things worked out, setting things up so that Prospal could return at the same time as captain Chris Drury.
The Rangers have been without Prospal through training camp and the start of the season, but last year for New York, he scored 20 goals and finished the year with 58 points, putting him second on the team in scoring behind Marian Gaborik. The Rangers now feature a lineup without Prospal, Gaborik, and Drury and they’ll have to find offense from somewhere. Look for the pressure to be thrown on the shoulders of Alex Frolov and rookie Derek Stepan to try and score goals while those three players are out.
Goalie Henrik Lundqvist’s job also got a lot more stressful as well considering he’ll have to be beyond fantastic making sure opponents don’t score. If the Rangers can keep it together while Drury and Prospal are out, they’ll be in good shape for when they return.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7