Oct 18, 2010, 3:46 PM EST
Rangers playmaking forward Vinny Prospal underwent knee surgery today and the Rangers announced that he’ll be out for 6-8 weeks. Prospal’s injury status has been a bit murky lately, leading to speculation that Prospal could miss a significant amount of time this season and put his career in jeopardy. Instead, there’s a timetable squared away for when he’ll be able to rejoin the team and get things worked out, setting things up so that Prospal could return at the same time as captain Chris Drury.
The Rangers have been without Prospal through training camp and the start of the season, but last year for New York, he scored 20 goals and finished the year with 58 points, putting him second on the team in scoring behind Marian Gaborik. The Rangers now feature a lineup without Prospal, Gaborik, and Drury and they’ll have to find offense from somewhere. Look for the pressure to be thrown on the shoulders of Alex Frolov and rookie Derek Stepan to try and score goals while those three players are out.
Goalie Henrik Lundqvist’s job also got a lot more stressful as well considering he’ll have to be beyond fantastic making sure opponents don’t score. If the Rangers can keep it together while Drury and Prospal are out, they’ll be in good shape for when they return.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46