Oct 18, 2010, 3:46 PM EDT
Rangers playmaking forward Vinny Prospal underwent knee surgery today and the Rangers announced that he’ll be out for 6-8 weeks. Prospal’s injury status has been a bit murky lately, leading to speculation that Prospal could miss a significant amount of time this season and put his career in jeopardy. Instead, there’s a timetable squared away for when he’ll be able to rejoin the team and get things worked out, setting things up so that Prospal could return at the same time as captain Chris Drury.
The Rangers have been without Prospal through training camp and the start of the season, but last year for New York, he scored 20 goals and finished the year with 58 points, putting him second on the team in scoring behind Marian Gaborik. The Rangers now feature a lineup without Prospal, Gaborik, and Drury and they’ll have to find offense from somewhere. Look for the pressure to be thrown on the shoulders of Alex Frolov and rookie Derek Stepan to try and score goals while those three players are out.
Goalie Henrik Lundqvist’s job also got a lot more stressful as well considering he’ll have to be beyond fantastic making sure opponents don’t score. If the Rangers can keep it together while Drury and Prospal are out, they’ll be in good shape for when they return.
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 3
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)