Oct 18, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT
One of the best things the NHL does each year is their dedicated work for Hockey Fights Cancer, wherein teams, players, and fans all come together to help raise money to help fund cancer research and treatment organizations. Part of that support is having players use pink-colored equipment in practice to show their support for the cause. Sometimes that equipment can be a little bit noticeable.
In Toronto this morning, Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro practiced with his fancy new gear that’s fetching and eye-catching. And by that, I mean it’s very, very pink. Photos are courtesy of the NHL . (click to enlarge)
Those are… Absolutely incredible. I’d wager that getting DiPietro or any goalie to wear those in a game would provide enough of a distraction to the opponents it’d make for a worthwhile (and charitable!) venture for someone to try out. For what it’s worth, fans can do their part to contribute to Hockey Fights Cancer by giving to any of the charities or participating in team and fan events designed to give to the cause or by purchasing special items from the NHL Shop designed specifically for Hockey Fights Cancer.
Update: Rick DiPietro tells Chris Johnston that he will, indeed, wear the pads in a game as soon as they’re broken in. I fear for the eyes of the opponent he faces off against. As it is, DiPietro will continue to wear the pads for the rest of the month as this is Hockey Fights Cancer month for the NHL.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)