Oct 18, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT
One of the best things the NHL does each year is their dedicated work for Hockey Fights Cancer, wherein teams, players, and fans all come together to help raise money to help fund cancer research and treatment organizations. Part of that support is having players use pink-colored equipment in practice to show their support for the cause. Sometimes that equipment can be a little bit noticeable.
In Toronto this morning, Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro practiced with his fancy new gear that’s fetching and eye-catching. And by that, I mean it’s very, very pink. Photos are courtesy of the NHL . (click to enlarge)
Those are… Absolutely incredible. I’d wager that getting DiPietro or any goalie to wear those in a game would provide enough of a distraction to the opponents it’d make for a worthwhile (and charitable!) venture for someone to try out. For what it’s worth, fans can do their part to contribute to Hockey Fights Cancer by giving to any of the charities or participating in team and fan events designed to give to the cause or by purchasing special items from the NHL Shop designed specifically for Hockey Fights Cancer.
Update: Rick DiPietro tells Chris Johnston that he will, indeed, wear the pads in a game as soon as they’re broken in. I fear for the eyes of the opponent he faces off against. As it is, DiPietro will continue to wear the pads for the rest of the month as this is Hockey Fights Cancer month for the NHL.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)