Oct 18, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT
One of the best things the NHL does each year is their dedicated work for Hockey Fights Cancer, wherein teams, players, and fans all come together to help raise money to help fund cancer research and treatment organizations. Part of that support is having players use pink-colored equipment in practice to show their support for the cause. Sometimes that equipment can be a little bit noticeable.
In Toronto this morning, Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro practiced with his fancy new gear that’s fetching and eye-catching. And by that, I mean it’s very, very pink. Photos are courtesy of the NHL . (click to enlarge)
Those are… Absolutely incredible. I’d wager that getting DiPietro or any goalie to wear those in a game would provide enough of a distraction to the opponents it’d make for a worthwhile (and charitable!) venture for someone to try out. For what it’s worth, fans can do their part to contribute to Hockey Fights Cancer by giving to any of the charities or participating in team and fan events designed to give to the cause or by purchasing special items from the NHL Shop designed specifically for Hockey Fights Cancer.
Update: Rick DiPietro tells Chris Johnston that he will, indeed, wear the pads in a game as soon as they’re broken in. I fear for the eyes of the opponent he faces off against. As it is, DiPietro will continue to wear the pads for the rest of the month as this is Hockey Fights Cancer month for the NHL.
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 14
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 57
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 8
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 23
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 26
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 58
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 21
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 94
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 104
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)