Oct 18, 2010, 6:31 PM EDT
Turns out Shane Doan wasn’t the only one making noise today regarding shots to the head. This time, Oilers defenseman Tom Gilbert was fined $2,500 for a head shot delivered to Flames forward Matt Stajan. Gilbert was penalized for interference on the play which earned him a review of the hit by the league. The $2,500 fine is the maximum fine allowable under the new rule.
Head shots are coming into focus now thanks to not just Doan’s hit that earned him a three-game suspension but also because of Kris Letang’s rescinded major penalty for an illegal hit to the head and Nick Foligno’s fined hit as well. If nothing else, the rule is resulting in some extra petty cash for the league but it’s also putting things into focus to show that the NHL is being vigilant about watching everything and making decisions based on what’s right and what isn’t.
Like we opined on before, as long as the league stays on top of this it’ll be for the better. Slacking off and getting inconsistent will only drive everyone crazy.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)