Oct 18, 2010, 6:31 PM EDT
Turns out Shane Doan wasn’t the only one making noise today regarding shots to the head. This time, Oilers defenseman Tom Gilbert was fined $2,500 for a head shot delivered to Flames forward Matt Stajan. Gilbert was penalized for interference on the play which earned him a review of the hit by the league. The $2,500 fine is the maximum fine allowable under the new rule.
Head shots are coming into focus now thanks to not just Doan’s hit that earned him a three-game suspension but also because of Kris Letang’s rescinded major penalty for an illegal hit to the head and Nick Foligno’s fined hit as well. If nothing else, the rule is resulting in some extra petty cash for the league but it’s also putting things into focus to show that the NHL is being vigilant about watching everything and making decisions based on what’s right and what isn’t.
Like we opined on before, as long as the league stays on top of this it’ll be for the better. Slacking off and getting inconsistent will only drive everyone crazy.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 0
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 21
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 35
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)