Oct 18, 2010, 10:12 PM EDT
Well, the dream run had to end some time, right? Maybe you can picture a perfect season in football, but in hockey, it’s usually nice to just have a perfect couple weeks.
After rushing to an impressive 4-0 season opening run, the Toronto Maple Leafs settled for a “charity point” as John Tavares scored in overtime to help the New York Islanders keep pace with the Pittsburgh Penguins atop the Atlantic Division.
The Islanders only generated 20 shots on goal in this one, but only needed one shot in overtime to win it as Tavares as scored a power-play goal assisted by recently suspended defenseman James Wisniewski and P.A. Parentau. Dwayne Roloson stopped 29 out of 30 shots, only allowing a Phil Kessel tally on the man advantage in this one. Matt Moulson scored the first goal shortly after another power-play expired, with Tavares earning one of the assists.
Tavares and the Isles are tied with the Penguins with eight points to lead the Atlantic, but have played in one less game so are essentially “ahead” of the favored club at this moment. While the Maple Leafs might be a little bit sad about finally getting a loss (they’re now 4-0-1), they still earned a point and are No. 1 in the Northeast Division with nine points in only five games played.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)