Oct 18, 2010, 5:55 PM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes start to the year has taken them across half the globe. They began the season playing in Europe, doing exhibition games in Russia and then opening the season against the Wild playing two games in Helsinki, Finland.
Since coming back to North America, they’ve gone from Ottawa across to the west coast for a four-game swing all while never once getting to go back home to Raleigh. Hurricanes defenseman Joe Corvo has just about had it with all the traveling and let his feelings out to the Globe And Mail’s Matthew Sekeres.
“It’s pretty ridiculous if you’re trying to get a fairly successful start to your season,” Corvo said. “But, whatever you have to do to make money.
“It’s not easy. All these teams we’re playing out here are basically playoff teams.”
“It’s been a tough road so far, and it doesn’t get any easier,” Corvo said. “We’ve traveled so many miles, and lost so much sleep. It’s something that, you don’t even know what’s going on in your body. I feel it myself.”
When looking at the teams that were doing the NHL Premiere games in Europe, I initially thought that the San Jose Sharks had the most ridiculous plans considering they had the furthest to travel directly, but it’s clear that Carolina got the short end of the stick considering they haven’t even had a home game yet.
That said, Corvo’s frustration might stem from the fact his team got thumped against Vancouver 5-1. Sure everyone’s tired, everyone’s dragging but they won’t get any sympathy from the Canucks. The Canucks spent virtually a month away from home while Vancouver held the Winter Olympics. Being away from home does stink, but it’s also part of the job of being a professional athlete.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 15
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 16
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 7
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8