Oct 18, 2010, 5:55 PM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes start to the year has taken them across half the globe. They began the season playing in Europe, doing exhibition games in Russia and then opening the season against the Wild playing two games in Helsinki, Finland.
Since coming back to North America, they’ve gone from Ottawa across to the west coast for a four-game swing all while never once getting to go back home to Raleigh. Hurricanes defenseman Joe Corvo has just about had it with all the traveling and let his feelings out to the Globe And Mail’s Matthew Sekeres.
“It’s pretty ridiculous if you’re trying to get a fairly successful start to your season,” Corvo said. “But, whatever you have to do to make money.
“It’s not easy. All these teams we’re playing out here are basically playoff teams.”
“It’s been a tough road so far, and it doesn’t get any easier,” Corvo said. “We’ve traveled so many miles, and lost so much sleep. It’s something that, you don’t even know what’s going on in your body. I feel it myself.”
When looking at the teams that were doing the NHL Premiere games in Europe, I initially thought that the San Jose Sharks had the most ridiculous plans considering they had the furthest to travel directly, but it’s clear that Carolina got the short end of the stick considering they haven’t even had a home game yet.
That said, Corvo’s frustration might stem from the fact his team got thumped against Vancouver 5-1. Sure everyone’s tired, everyone’s dragging but they won’t get any sympathy from the Canucks. The Canucks spent virtually a month away from home while Vancouver held the Winter Olympics. Being away from home does stink, but it’s also part of the job of being a professional athlete.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 44
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)