Oct 17, 2010, 7:35 PM EDT
Whether you’re interested for fantasy hockey reasons or just want to know which goalie your team is playing in a given day, we thought it might be helpful to share our best guesses (based on various previews from newspapers and Web sites plus our own instincts) on who might start each day.
8:00 pm ET
Phoenix @ Anaheim
Likely Anaheim starter: Jonas Hiller looks to get the nod once again for the Ducks in goal. He’s been the guy shouldering most of the team’s burden and doing about as well as you could hope for given that he’s already faced 198 shots in the five games he’s played in. Yes, he was even pulled from one of those games so it’s not even a full five. Yikes.
Likely Phoenix starter: Jason LaBarbera could be looking at his first start of the year. With Phoenix having played last night at home in a tough 2-1 overtime loss to Detroit, giving Ilya Bryzgalov the night off isn’t the worst idea in the world. Bryzgalov will be carrying the bulk of the load for the Coyotes this year, so giving him a night off early in the season makes sense to save up his energy for later in the year.
9:00 pm ET
Carolina @ Vancouver
Likely Vancouver starter: Cory Schneider looks to get his first action of the season over Roberto Luongo. The rookie netminder has yet to see any game action this year and after the first couple weeks of the season, it’s about time he got a chance to play.
Likely Carolina starter: Cam Ward gets the start once again for the Hurricanes. He’s started every game for Carolina this season and the Canes and Ward have done well. Carolina is 2-1-0 to start the year, and Ward’s numbers are rather gaudy with a .936 save percentage and 2.28 goals against average. Not bad, eh?
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8