Oct 17, 2010, 7:35 PM EDT
Whether you’re interested for fantasy hockey reasons or just want to know which goalie your team is playing in a given day, we thought it might be helpful to share our best guesses (based on various previews from newspapers and Web sites plus our own instincts) on who might start each day.
8:00 pm ET
Phoenix @ Anaheim
Likely Anaheim starter: Jonas Hiller looks to get the nod once again for the Ducks in goal. He’s been the guy shouldering most of the team’s burden and doing about as well as you could hope for given that he’s already faced 198 shots in the five games he’s played in. Yes, he was even pulled from one of those games so it’s not even a full five. Yikes.
Likely Phoenix starter: Jason LaBarbera could be looking at his first start of the year. With Phoenix having played last night at home in a tough 2-1 overtime loss to Detroit, giving Ilya Bryzgalov the night off isn’t the worst idea in the world. Bryzgalov will be carrying the bulk of the load for the Coyotes this year, so giving him a night off early in the season makes sense to save up his energy for later in the year.
9:00 pm ET
Carolina @ Vancouver
Likely Vancouver starter: Cory Schneider looks to get his first action of the season over Roberto Luongo. The rookie netminder has yet to see any game action this year and after the first couple weeks of the season, it’s about time he got a chance to play.
Likely Carolina starter: Cam Ward gets the start once again for the Hurricanes. He’s started every game for Carolina this season and the Canes and Ward have done well. Carolina is 2-1-0 to start the year, and Ward’s numbers are rather gaudy with a .936 save percentage and 2.28 goals against average. Not bad, eh?
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)