Oct 17, 2010, 1:32 PM EDT
When it comes to pesky players such as Buffalo Sabres pest Patrick Kaleta, there’s a fine line between doing your job (frustrating opponents into penalties) and hurting your own team by taking bad penalties. There are times when such tomfoolery just falls flat on its face, though.
Wednesday’s game against the New Jersey Devils provided a good example of both, as he attempted (but apparently failed) to headbutt Devils forward Travis Zajac during an altercation. Zajac responded enough that he was given a roughing major, though, showing that Kaleta’s madness has its benefits.
That being said, the league didn’t appreciate his transgressions. TSN reports that the NHL fined Kaleta for his bad deeds, although there is no word on the size of the fine.
There’s no video of the Kaleta headbutt miss, but here is a quick description of the incident from TSN.
Late in the first period, Kaleta and Zajac clashed in front of the New Jersey bench. Kaleta leaned in towards Zajac and tried to make contact using his head. He missed and was pushed over by Zajac, who was then assessed a minor penalty for roughing.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)