Oct 17, 2010, 1:32 PM EDT
When it comes to pesky players such as Buffalo Sabres pest Patrick Kaleta, there’s a fine line between doing your job (frustrating opponents into penalties) and hurting your own team by taking bad penalties. There are times when such tomfoolery just falls flat on its face, though.
Wednesday’s game against the New Jersey Devils provided a good example of both, as he attempted (but apparently failed) to headbutt Devils forward Travis Zajac during an altercation. Zajac responded enough that he was given a roughing major, though, showing that Kaleta’s madness has its benefits.
That being said, the league didn’t appreciate his transgressions. TSN reports that the NHL fined Kaleta for his bad deeds, although there is no word on the size of the fine.
There’s no video of the Kaleta headbutt miss, but here is a quick description of the incident from TSN.
Late in the first period, Kaleta and Zajac clashed in front of the New Jersey bench. Kaleta leaned in towards Zajac and tried to make contact using his head. He missed and was pushed over by Zajac, who was then assessed a minor penalty for roughing.
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 33
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 5
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 31
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)