Oct 17, 2010, 1:10 PM EDT
We covered a ton (OK, just 10) of last night’s games, but two of the contests went past our bed times. Let’s recap those late Saturday games for your reading enjoyment.
For at least one night, Darryl Sutter’s off-season additions looked like shrewd moves. Alex Tanguay scored the first goal then added an assist and an empty-netter. Brendan Morrison scored a goal and an assist while mainstay Jarome Iginla tapped in his first goal of the season. Nikolai Khabibulin stopped 41 out of 45 shots, but Miikka Kiprusoff ended up winning this Battle of Alberta in front an appreciative crowd in Calgary.
Even though he’s no longer a member of the Chicago Blackhawks, Dustin Byfuglien continues to torment the San Jose Sharks. He scored some big goals against them in the playoffs last season and added another game-winner as a member of the Atlanta Thrashers, capping the team’s comeback from a 2-0 first period deficit.
Chris Mason made a big save on a third period breakaway when the game was tied while Evander Kane scored on an odd-man rush to ice the game. The Sharks might have to worry a bit about their ability to score even strength goals, as only one of their tallies was 5-on-5 after depending on their PP quite a bit against Columbus in those overseas games.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 21
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)