Oct 17, 2010, 1:10 PM EDT
We covered a ton (OK, just 10) of last night’s games, but two of the contests went past our bed times. Let’s recap those late Saturday games for your reading enjoyment.
For at least one night, Darryl Sutter’s off-season additions looked like shrewd moves. Alex Tanguay scored the first goal then added an assist and an empty-netter. Brendan Morrison scored a goal and an assist while mainstay Jarome Iginla tapped in his first goal of the season. Nikolai Khabibulin stopped 41 out of 45 shots, but Miikka Kiprusoff ended up winning this Battle of Alberta in front an appreciative crowd in Calgary.
Even though he’s no longer a member of the Chicago Blackhawks, Dustin Byfuglien continues to torment the San Jose Sharks. He scored some big goals against them in the playoffs last season and added another game-winner as a member of the Atlanta Thrashers, capping the team’s comeback from a 2-0 first period deficit.
Chris Mason made a big save on a third period breakaway when the game was tied while Evander Kane scored on an odd-man rush to ice the game. The Sharks might have to worry a bit about their ability to score even strength goals, as only one of their tallies was 5-on-5 after depending on their PP quite a bit against Columbus in those overseas games.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)