Oct 17, 2010, 10:42 PM EDT
Depending on the team you play for, being a backup goalie can be a stressful job. If you’re in a place where the starter doesn’t quite have a stranglehold on the job and it’s up to the backup to keep the ship afloat, it can be viewed as either an incredible source of stress or the open door for a bigger opportunity. If you’re a backup goalie like Scott Clemmensen of the Florida Panthers is and Tomas Vokoun is the starter finding the opportunity to start a game could end up providing a lot of time on the bench to wait things out as George Richards of On Frozen Pond talks about.
In four games, Vokoun has stopped 99 of 104 shots (95 percent). Coming into Sunday, that was second best in the league for goalies who have played three games or more.
Florida doesn’t play in a back-to-back contest until a home-and-home series against the Hurricanes on Nov. 5-6.
If coach Pete DeBoer sticks to his plan to let Vokoun keep going, that means Clemmensen may go more than a month without game-time experience. Clemmensen hasn’t played since beating Boston in an exhibition shootout on Sept. 25.
It’s crazy to think that the season could go by for a month and a goalie could go that long without seeing any action at all, but Vokoun’s unbelievable play is making the decision easy. While you do want to get him some rest eventually, if you’re not playing back-to-back games there’s no real need to “rest” Vokoun with all the off days thrown around on the schedule. After all, if Florida is going to threaten for a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference, Vokoun almost assuredly has to be their best player.
If Vokoun can still play wall-like all season, all of a sudden the demand to trade for him later in the year grows and the potential price for the future unrestricted free agent possibly goes up. Then again, playing Vokoun for 70 games will just make Scott Clemmensen’s job on the bench wearing a baseball hat even more boring. The sacrifices for team success can sometimes be yawn-inducing.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 14
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 49
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (49)