Oct 16, 2010, 4:50 PM EDT
Last night’s game between Toronto and the New York Rangers saw business pick up late in the game when away from a scrum near the boards, Rangers agitator Sean Avery and Leafs defenseman Mike Komisarek got to chatting. Apparently whatever was being said wasn’t to Avery’s liking and he slashed Komisarek twice, first in the back of the thigh and in the ankle after that. Komisarek dropped to the ice and Avery was given a minor penalty. You can see video of the incident here from YouTube.
Andrew Gross of Rangers Rants reports today that the NHL won’t seek discipline against Avery for his actions. With the injury losses sustained last night by Marian Gaborik and Chris Drury, the Rangers couldn’t afford to lose the irascible Avery for a stupid action like this. As crazy as it sounds, Avery’s work getting under the skin of Komisarek paid off later on when Komisarek retaliated against Avery drawing a minor penalty for cross-checking. Avery’s actions can often cross the line, but whether or not you love him or hate him, he’s really quite effective at his job of drawing a reaction from opponents.
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 6
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 23
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 8
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 25
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42