Oct 16, 2010, 4:50 PM EST
Last night’s game between Toronto and the New York Rangers saw business pick up late in the game when away from a scrum near the boards, Rangers agitator Sean Avery and Leafs defenseman Mike Komisarek got to chatting. Apparently whatever was being said wasn’t to Avery’s liking and he slashed Komisarek twice, first in the back of the thigh and in the ankle after that. Komisarek dropped to the ice and Avery was given a minor penalty. You can see video of the incident here from YouTube.
Andrew Gross of Rangers Rants reports today that the NHL won’t seek discipline against Avery for his actions. With the injury losses sustained last night by Marian Gaborik and Chris Drury, the Rangers couldn’t afford to lose the irascible Avery for a stupid action like this. As crazy as it sounds, Avery’s work getting under the skin of Komisarek paid off later on when Komisarek retaliated against Avery drawing a minor penalty for cross-checking. Avery’s actions can often cross the line, but whether or not you love him or hate him, he’s really quite effective at his job of drawing a reaction from opponents.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 57
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12