Oct 16, 2010, 4:50 PM EDT
Last night’s game between Toronto and the New York Rangers saw business pick up late in the game when away from a scrum near the boards, Rangers agitator Sean Avery and Leafs defenseman Mike Komisarek got to chatting. Apparently whatever was being said wasn’t to Avery’s liking and he slashed Komisarek twice, first in the back of the thigh and in the ankle after that. Komisarek dropped to the ice and Avery was given a minor penalty. You can see video of the incident here from YouTube.
Andrew Gross of Rangers Rants reports today that the NHL won’t seek discipline against Avery for his actions. With the injury losses sustained last night by Marian Gaborik and Chris Drury, the Rangers couldn’t afford to lose the irascible Avery for a stupid action like this. As crazy as it sounds, Avery’s work getting under the skin of Komisarek paid off later on when Komisarek retaliated against Avery drawing a minor penalty for cross-checking. Avery’s actions can often cross the line, but whether or not you love him or hate him, he’s really quite effective at his job of drawing a reaction from opponents.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 6
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 7
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18