Oct 16, 2010, 7:03 PM EST
From the “not that it really matters now” files: the NHL rescinded the major penalty incorrectly given to Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Kris Letang in last night’s game against the New York Islanders. Here is the report, via Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
The National Hockey League has rescinded the major penalty that Penguins defenseman Kris Letang was assessed for a hit on New York Islanders forward Blake Comeau during the Penguins’ 3-2 overtime victory at the Consol Energy Center Friday night.
Letang got the major and a game misconduct for purportedly hitting Comeau in the head, a ruling the NHL overturned after reviewing replays of the incident.
Of course, unless Penguins GM Ray Shero manages to acquire a DeLorean, this announcement is little more than a formalized “my bad” from the league.
The Penguins still were forced to kill a five-minute major penalty, but luckily for the league and the Penguins, they ended up winning the game in overtime anyway. Considering Pittsburgh’s early season struggles, losing that game could have been a big blow and many of the team’s whiniest fans would probably cite that in conspiracy theories in the same way that they immortalize Max Talbot’s hand motions.
Letang is playing in tonight’s game anyway (which is currently tied 1-1 in the first intermission), so it’s all frozen water under the bridge, I’d say.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)