Oct 16, 2010, 7:03 PM EDT
From the “not that it really matters now” files: the NHL rescinded the major penalty incorrectly given to Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Kris Letang in last night’s game against the New York Islanders. Here is the report, via Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
The National Hockey League has rescinded the major penalty that Penguins defenseman Kris Letang was assessed for a hit on New York Islanders forward Blake Comeau during the Penguins’ 3-2 overtime victory at the Consol Energy Center Friday night.
Letang got the major and a game misconduct for purportedly hitting Comeau in the head, a ruling the NHL overturned after reviewing replays of the incident.
Of course, unless Penguins GM Ray Shero manages to acquire a DeLorean, this announcement is little more than a formalized “my bad” from the league.
The Penguins still were forced to kill a five-minute major penalty, but luckily for the league and the Penguins, they ended up winning the game in overtime anyway. Considering Pittsburgh’s early season struggles, losing that game could have been a big blow and many of the team’s whiniest fans would probably cite that in conspiracy theories in the same way that they immortalize Max Talbot’s hand motions.
Letang is playing in tonight’s game anyway (which is currently tied 1-1 in the first intermission), so it’s all frozen water under the bridge, I’d say.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)