Oct 16, 2010, 7:03 PM EDT
From the “not that it really matters now” files: the NHL rescinded the major penalty incorrectly given to Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Kris Letang in last night’s game against the New York Islanders. Here is the report, via Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
The National Hockey League has rescinded the major penalty that Penguins defenseman Kris Letang was assessed for a hit on New York Islanders forward Blake Comeau during the Penguins’ 3-2 overtime victory at the Consol Energy Center Friday night.
Letang got the major and a game misconduct for purportedly hitting Comeau in the head, a ruling the NHL overturned after reviewing replays of the incident.
Of course, unless Penguins GM Ray Shero manages to acquire a DeLorean, this announcement is little more than a formalized “my bad” from the league.
The Penguins still were forced to kill a five-minute major penalty, but luckily for the league and the Penguins, they ended up winning the game in overtime anyway. Considering Pittsburgh’s early season struggles, losing that game could have been a big blow and many of the team’s whiniest fans would probably cite that in conspiracy theories in the same way that they immortalize Max Talbot’s hand motions.
Letang is playing in tonight’s game anyway (which is currently tied 1-1 in the first intermission), so it’s all frozen water under the bridge, I’d say.
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 4
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 47
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 14
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)