Oct 16, 2010, 3:54 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks’ anemic defense gets to finally add Andreas Lilja to the mix today after Lilja had to get his work visa issues worked out with the United States. If you don’t recall, one of the pressures on Lilja to find a job in the NHL quickly was because he was due to be forced out of the country if he didn’t. After making the trip to Europe with the Sharks and then not signed by them, things got serious fast for the Swedish defenseman. Being a non-American working in America (and Canada) has its issues like that sometimes.
Lilja adds a big, physical presence with a mind for defense to the Ducks rather punch-free blue line. Lilja also the occasional brain fart for a game-crippling turnover to his repertoire, but his last couple of seasons in Detroit showed that he improved upon those issues. Lilja comes through as a much-needed big body for Anaheim who has struggled so far this season to keep opponents from turning the game into a shooting gallery for goalie Jonas Hiller.
To make room on the roster, the Ducks sent young defenseman Luca Sbisa to Syracuse in the AHL. 2010 first round pick Cam Fowler’s presence in Anaheim has been a welcomed one for the Ducks as he’s survived being sent back to the OHL twice now. He’ll have up until his ninth game in the NHL for the Ducks to decide whether or not they want to keep him all season.
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 4
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 9
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 20
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 36
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 33
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 88
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)