Oct 16, 2010, 3:54 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks’ anemic defense gets to finally add Andreas Lilja to the mix today after Lilja had to get his work visa issues worked out with the United States. If you don’t recall, one of the pressures on Lilja to find a job in the NHL quickly was because he was due to be forced out of the country if he didn’t. After making the trip to Europe with the Sharks and then not signed by them, things got serious fast for the Swedish defenseman. Being a non-American working in America (and Canada) has its issues like that sometimes.
Lilja adds a big, physical presence with a mind for defense to the Ducks rather punch-free blue line. Lilja also the occasional brain fart for a game-crippling turnover to his repertoire, but his last couple of seasons in Detroit showed that he improved upon those issues. Lilja comes through as a much-needed big body for Anaheim who has struggled so far this season to keep opponents from turning the game into a shooting gallery for goalie Jonas Hiller.
To make room on the roster, the Ducks sent young defenseman Luca Sbisa to Syracuse in the AHL. 2010 first round pick Cam Fowler’s presence in Anaheim has been a welcomed one for the Ducks as he’s survived being sent back to the OHL twice now. He’ll have up until his ninth game in the NHL for the Ducks to decide whether or not they want to keep him all season.
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 25
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 53
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)