Oct 16, 2010, 3:54 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks’ anemic defense gets to finally add Andreas Lilja to the mix today after Lilja had to get his work visa issues worked out with the United States. If you don’t recall, one of the pressures on Lilja to find a job in the NHL quickly was because he was due to be forced out of the country if he didn’t. After making the trip to Europe with the Sharks and then not signed by them, things got serious fast for the Swedish defenseman. Being a non-American working in America (and Canada) has its issues like that sometimes.
Lilja adds a big, physical presence with a mind for defense to the Ducks rather punch-free blue line. Lilja also the occasional brain fart for a game-crippling turnover to his repertoire, but his last couple of seasons in Detroit showed that he improved upon those issues. Lilja comes through as a much-needed big body for Anaheim who has struggled so far this season to keep opponents from turning the game into a shooting gallery for goalie Jonas Hiller.
To make room on the roster, the Ducks sent young defenseman Luca Sbisa to Syracuse in the AHL. 2010 first round pick Cam Fowler’s presence in Anaheim has been a welcomed one for the Ducks as he’s survived being sent back to the OHL twice now. He’ll have up until his ninth game in the NHL for the Ducks to decide whether or not they want to keep him all season.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 20
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)