Oct 16, 2010, 3:54 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks’ anemic defense gets to finally add Andreas Lilja to the mix today after Lilja had to get his work visa issues worked out with the United States. If you don’t recall, one of the pressures on Lilja to find a job in the NHL quickly was because he was due to be forced out of the country if he didn’t. After making the trip to Europe with the Sharks and then not signed by them, things got serious fast for the Swedish defenseman. Being a non-American working in America (and Canada) has its issues like that sometimes.
Lilja adds a big, physical presence with a mind for defense to the Ducks rather punch-free blue line. Lilja also the occasional brain fart for a game-crippling turnover to his repertoire, but his last couple of seasons in Detroit showed that he improved upon those issues. Lilja comes through as a much-needed big body for Anaheim who has struggled so far this season to keep opponents from turning the game into a shooting gallery for goalie Jonas Hiller.
To make room on the roster, the Ducks sent young defenseman Luca Sbisa to Syracuse in the AHL. 2010 first round pick Cam Fowler’s presence in Anaheim has been a welcomed one for the Ducks as he’s survived being sent back to the OHL twice now. He’ll have up until his ninth game in the NHL for the Ducks to decide whether or not they want to keep him all season.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 16
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)