Oct 16, 2010, 11:43 PM EDT
Good news for the Detroit Red Wings: it sounds like Johan Franzen isn’t too banged up. While the sniping Swedish forward did admit that the Mark Fistric hit left him with a “mild concussion,” Franzen said that he was feeling quite a bit better and it doesn’t appear that he’ll deal with too many issues. In fact, he might even be able to return by Thursday’s game against the Calgary Flames.
Of course, the Red Wings are still likely to proceed with caution when it comes to Franzen. His tough style earned him his great nickname “The Mule” but much like fellow Swede standout Peter Forsberg, sometimes that rugged game can take quite the physical toll.
Franzen said he has a slight concussion after being elbowed in the head by Dallas defenseman Mark Fistric on Thursday. Tests were done to rule out the possibility that he sustained another subdural hematoma, while idled him for a few weeks during the 2008 playoffs.
“It’s a concussion, but that’s not what they were worried about,” Franzen said. “That (potential hematoma) is what they always check now because I have a history of that. They just want to be safe.”
When he’s healthy, Franzen is absolutely one of the most intimidating scorers in the NHL. The Red Wings need to protect him, though, so expect him to miss a few games (at least) with this injury. At least it sounds like it won’t be a major problem for Franzen, though.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)