Oct 16, 2010, 11:43 PM EDT
Good news for the Detroit Red Wings: it sounds like Johan Franzen isn’t too banged up. While the sniping Swedish forward did admit that the Mark Fistric hit left him with a “mild concussion,” Franzen said that he was feeling quite a bit better and it doesn’t appear that he’ll deal with too many issues. In fact, he might even be able to return by Thursday’s game against the Calgary Flames.
Of course, the Red Wings are still likely to proceed with caution when it comes to Franzen. His tough style earned him his great nickname “The Mule” but much like fellow Swede standout Peter Forsberg, sometimes that rugged game can take quite the physical toll.
Franzen said he has a slight concussion after being elbowed in the head by Dallas defenseman Mark Fistric on Thursday. Tests were done to rule out the possibility that he sustained another subdural hematoma, while idled him for a few weeks during the 2008 playoffs.
“It’s a concussion, but that’s not what they were worried about,” Franzen said. “That (potential hematoma) is what they always check now because I have a history of that. They just want to be safe.”
When he’s healthy, Franzen is absolutely one of the most intimidating scorers in the NHL. The Red Wings need to protect him, though, so expect him to miss a few games (at least) with this injury. At least it sounds like it won’t be a major problem for Franzen, though.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)