Oct 15, 2010, 10:50 PM EDT
The Rangers 4-3 overtime loss to Toronto turned out to be more costly than just what happens in the standings as they’ll be without both Chris Drury and Marian Gaborik for an extended period of time due to injuries suffered during the second period. Drury has a broken left finger, the same finger he broke in training camp. The good news is that the finger wasn’t broken in the same place but he’ll miss six weeks of action to recover from it nonetheless. Drury broke the finger initially in training camp while blocking a shot in a preseason game.
Meanwhile, Rangers top scorer Marian Gaborik will miss the next 2-3 weeks with a separated shoulder suffered after taking a rough check from Leafs forward Colby Armstrong. Armstrong received a penalty on the play but by no means was it a dirty check. Gaborik headed off the ice to the bench after the play favoring his shoulder and did not return to action.
In other bad news, Rangers coach John Tortorella announced that Vinny Prospal will have surgery on his right knee. Earlier this month, we told you about how Prospal may miss a significant amount of time because of this and with the seemingly mysterious nature of this injury, it’s possible he could miss the whole season.
Thankfully for the Rangers, they’ve seen the emergence of rookie Derek Stepan to help soften the blow of losing Drury and Prospal, but having their veteran contributions is key to their success this season. Now they’ll have to wait things out for at least Drury and Gaborik for the next few weeks and hope that Prospal can come back at all.
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 6
- Video: Bruins, Hawks combine for five goals in 11 minutes during wild second period 5
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 62
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 24
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming