Oct 15, 2010, 10:50 PM EDT
The Rangers 4-3 overtime loss to Toronto turned out to be more costly than just what happens in the standings as they’ll be without both Chris Drury and Marian Gaborik for an extended period of time due to injuries suffered during the second period. Drury has a broken left finger, the same finger he broke in training camp. The good news is that the finger wasn’t broken in the same place but he’ll miss six weeks of action to recover from it nonetheless. Drury broke the finger initially in training camp while blocking a shot in a preseason game.
Meanwhile, Rangers top scorer Marian Gaborik will miss the next 2-3 weeks with a separated shoulder suffered after taking a rough check from Leafs forward Colby Armstrong. Armstrong received a penalty on the play but by no means was it a dirty check. Gaborik headed off the ice to the bench after the play favoring his shoulder and did not return to action.
In other bad news, Rangers coach John Tortorella announced that Vinny Prospal will have surgery on his right knee. Earlier this month, we told you about how Prospal may miss a significant amount of time because of this and with the seemingly mysterious nature of this injury, it’s possible he could miss the whole season.
Thankfully for the Rangers, they’ve seen the emergence of rookie Derek Stepan to help soften the blow of losing Drury and Prospal, but having their veteran contributions is key to their success this season. Now they’ll have to wait things out for at least Drury and Gaborik for the next few weeks and hope that Prospal can come back at all.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)