Oct 15, 2010, 10:50 PM EST
The Rangers 4-3 overtime loss to Toronto turned out to be more costly than just what happens in the standings as they’ll be without both Chris Drury and Marian Gaborik for an extended period of time due to injuries suffered during the second period. Drury has a broken left finger, the same finger he broke in training camp. The good news is that the finger wasn’t broken in the same place but he’ll miss six weeks of action to recover from it nonetheless. Drury broke the finger initially in training camp while blocking a shot in a preseason game.
Meanwhile, Rangers top scorer Marian Gaborik will miss the next 2-3 weeks with a separated shoulder suffered after taking a rough check from Leafs forward Colby Armstrong. Armstrong received a penalty on the play but by no means was it a dirty check. Gaborik headed off the ice to the bench after the play favoring his shoulder and did not return to action.
In other bad news, Rangers coach John Tortorella announced that Vinny Prospal will have surgery on his right knee. Earlier this month, we told you about how Prospal may miss a significant amount of time because of this and with the seemingly mysterious nature of this injury, it’s possible he could miss the whole season.
Thankfully for the Rangers, they’ve seen the emergence of rookie Derek Stepan to help soften the blow of losing Drury and Prospal, but having their veteran contributions is key to their success this season. Now they’ll have to wait things out for at least Drury and Gaborik for the next few weeks and hope that Prospal can come back at all.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4