Oct 15, 2010, 3:04 AM EST
While one team’s struggles come to an end, another ones continue to fester on. The Panthers took out Calgary 3-0 at the Scotiabank Saddledome on the strength of Tomas Vokoun’s 27-save shutout and two goals from the seemingly ageless Radek Dvorak. Youngster Shawn Matthias added the put away dagger in the third period to provide the final tally. For Calgary, things are looking ugly and nervousness is already starting to settle in as Sportsnet’s Mark Spector finds out after the game.
“To play this game, you have to be confident,” Tanguay said. “None of us want the puck on our stick right now.”
Shut out in two of three games this young season, incredibly, we’re already approaching critical mass in Calgary. The lines have been busted up before any of the Big 3 mustered their first point of the season, and the power-play is brought to you by Dr. Seuss, just 1-for-13 so far.
“We’re just uptight,” said Tanguay of the scoreless trio, alongside Jokinen and Jarome Iginla. “We don’t want to make plays, don’t want to make a mistake. Certainly, that first goal is wearing on us.”
The lack of fire from the Flames is evident in watching them play. The get-up-and-go isn’t there and while they outshot the Panthers tonight 27-18, they lost 3-0. While the wildly underrated Tomas Vokoun has a lot to do with that, the truth of the matter is Calgary was outworked all game long by a hungry Panthers squad. Are these horrible puns doing anything for you?
What needs to change in Calgary is simple, they need to find their groove. Scoring some goals will help that and getting everyone back in the lineup would do wonders as well. Until those things happen, the trend towards ugly play may continue to roll along. The Flames need something to get them going and Jarome Iginla can’t do it all by himself. Lord knows he’s already doing enough of that already.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)