Oct 15, 2010, 10:49 AM EST
Former Edmonton Oilers owner Peter Pocklington has been dealing with some legal issues lately, as the man many people blame for The Wayne Gretzky Trade pleaded guilty for perjury charges in a bankruptcy case.
Pocklington was supposed to find out what kind of sentence he will face – he’s hoping to avoid jail time in favor of going under house arrest, probation, paying fines or some combination of the three – on Thursday but apparently the judge postponed that sentencing date.
U.S. District Judge Virginia Philipps reset the hearing for Oct. 27 after admonishing Pocklington’s attorney for filing the 78-page document just a few days ago.
Outside court, attorney Brent Romney said he knew he filed late but wanted to give the judge the most up-to-date information about Pocklington’s cooperation with authorities in his bankruptcy case.
It never sounds very good when a judge is “admonishing” your attorney, but I am not going to pretend that I have any legal expertise right now. Seeing the mighty fall is often a strange sensation, yet you wonder if there is a feeling of Schadenfreude among Canadian hockey fans. We’ll pass along information as it trickles through in about two weeks.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 44
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (44)