Oct 15, 2010, 10:49 AM EDT
Former Edmonton Oilers owner Peter Pocklington has been dealing with some legal issues lately, as the man many people blame for The Wayne Gretzky Trade pleaded guilty for perjury charges in a bankruptcy case.
Pocklington was supposed to find out what kind of sentence he will face – he’s hoping to avoid jail time in favor of going under house arrest, probation, paying fines or some combination of the three – on Thursday but apparently the judge postponed that sentencing date.
U.S. District Judge Virginia Philipps reset the hearing for Oct. 27 after admonishing Pocklington’s attorney for filing the 78-page document just a few days ago.
Outside court, attorney Brent Romney said he knew he filed late but wanted to give the judge the most up-to-date information about Pocklington’s cooperation with authorities in his bankruptcy case.
It never sounds very good when a judge is “admonishing” your attorney, but I am not going to pretend that I have any legal expertise right now. Seeing the mighty fall is often a strange sensation, yet you wonder if there is a feeling of Schadenfreude among Canadian hockey fans. We’ll pass along information as it trickles through in about two weeks.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)