Oct 15, 2010, 10:49 AM EST
Former Edmonton Oilers owner Peter Pocklington has been dealing with some legal issues lately, as the man many people blame for The Wayne Gretzky Trade pleaded guilty for perjury charges in a bankruptcy case.
Pocklington was supposed to find out what kind of sentence he will face – he’s hoping to avoid jail time in favor of going under house arrest, probation, paying fines or some combination of the three – on Thursday but apparently the judge postponed that sentencing date.
U.S. District Judge Virginia Philipps reset the hearing for Oct. 27 after admonishing Pocklington’s attorney for filing the 78-page document just a few days ago.
Outside court, attorney Brent Romney said he knew he filed late but wanted to give the judge the most up-to-date information about Pocklington’s cooperation with authorities in his bankruptcy case.
It never sounds very good when a judge is “admonishing” your attorney, but I am not going to pretend that I have any legal expertise right now. Seeing the mighty fall is often a strange sensation, yet you wonder if there is a feeling of Schadenfreude among Canadian hockey fans. We’ll pass along information as it trickles through in about two weeks.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)