Oct 15, 2010, 10:49 AM EDT
Former Edmonton Oilers owner Peter Pocklington has been dealing with some legal issues lately, as the man many people blame for The Wayne Gretzky Trade pleaded guilty for perjury charges in a bankruptcy case.
Pocklington was supposed to find out what kind of sentence he will face – he’s hoping to avoid jail time in favor of going under house arrest, probation, paying fines or some combination of the three – on Thursday but apparently the judge postponed that sentencing date.
U.S. District Judge Virginia Philipps reset the hearing for Oct. 27 after admonishing Pocklington’s attorney for filing the 78-page document just a few days ago.
Outside court, attorney Brent Romney said he knew he filed late but wanted to give the judge the most up-to-date information about Pocklington’s cooperation with authorities in his bankruptcy case.
It never sounds very good when a judge is “admonishing” your attorney, but I am not going to pretend that I have any legal expertise right now. Seeing the mighty fall is often a strange sensation, yet you wonder if there is a feeling of Schadenfreude among Canadian hockey fans. We’ll pass along information as it trickles through in about two weeks.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 60
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 35
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 31
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 19
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)