Oct 15, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars are looking awfully impressive at 3-0 so far, although I think that the team is still resting on a slightly shaky foundation (at least in net, considering how injury prone Kari Lehtonen is). But I’ll get into why the Stars might – or might not – be for real a little bit later.
GM Joe Nieuwendyk might have made his best move in his young career as a general manager today as the Stars hired “Scary” Gary Roberts to be a player development consultant.
While the title of player development consultant seems a little vague, I imagine the Stars hired Roberts in large part because of the training program he has been teaching during off-seasons to various players. Roberts preached stringent dietary choices and made big fitness strides with 25 players this summer (read about it here) and it’s probably no coincidence that budding Stars power forward James Neal was one of the program’s most enthusiastic beneficiaries.
If Roberts can help the Stars up their overall fitness level even by an increment or two, then this is a brilliant hire. The Pensblog popularized the phrase “What Would Gary Roberts Do?” when he was a rare physical force for the team. Yet, if the fitness freak’s training regimen indicates anything, the answer is usually: “eat right and exercise.” That might not sound very exciting … unless you’re a member of the Dallas Stars front office, that is.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)