Oct 15, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars are looking awfully impressive at 3-0 so far, although I think that the team is still resting on a slightly shaky foundation (at least in net, considering how injury prone Kari Lehtonen is). But I’ll get into why the Stars might – or might not – be for real a little bit later.
GM Joe Nieuwendyk might have made his best move in his young career as a general manager today as the Stars hired “Scary” Gary Roberts to be a player development consultant.
While the title of player development consultant seems a little vague, I imagine the Stars hired Roberts in large part because of the training program he has been teaching during off-seasons to various players. Roberts preached stringent dietary choices and made big fitness strides with 25 players this summer (read about it here) and it’s probably no coincidence that budding Stars power forward James Neal was one of the program’s most enthusiastic beneficiaries.
If Roberts can help the Stars up their overall fitness level even by an increment or two, then this is a brilliant hire. The Pensblog popularized the phrase “What Would Gary Roberts Do?” when he was a rare physical force for the team. Yet, if the fitness freak’s training regimen indicates anything, the answer is usually: “eat right and exercise.” That might not sound very exciting … unless you’re a member of the Dallas Stars front office, that is.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)