Oct 14, 2010, 8:02 PM EDT
While it’s not a guarantee that he will actually play this weekend, things are looking up for Washington Capitals Semyon Varlamov. Coach Bruce Boudreau said he is expected to dress for Saturday’s game against the Nashville Predators, according to Katie Carrera of the Washington Post.
“Unless something crazy happens tomorrow he’ll be dressing for Saturday’s game,” said Boudreau, who wouldn’t divulge whether Varlamov would start in Nashville. “I think, but I’m not telling.”
Varlamov, who has been hampered by a groin injury, participated in full practices and drills all week and said a few times that he felt ready to go. Now it appears as though he will have that chance sooner rather than later.
Again, it doesn’t necessarily mean that Varlamov is going to start right away. He could just end up backing up Michal Neuvirth, who is 3-1 as the Capitals’ interim unquestioned starter so far this season. If you need a little more substance to support the rumor, Carrera also passed along Bob MacKenzie’s report that the Capitals put temporary backup Dany Sabourin on waivers.
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 0
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 61
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)