Oct 14, 2010, 5:19 PM EDT
The early part of the season has been pretty tough on the Pittsburgh Penguins. They’ve started their season off 1-3 and after losing a tough one to the Maple Leafs last night, the day after brings about an update on the injury status of defenseman Zbynek Michalek.
Coach Dan Bylsma updated the status of Michalek saying he would miss the next 2-4 weeks with an “upper body injury.” To read through the very non-descriptive manner of his injury, it’s apparently a shoulder ailment for the former Coyotes blue liner. The Pens defense is already dealing with the wonky groin of Brooks Orpik as that’s kept him out of the lineup of late. In their stead, virtual no-namers like Derek Engelland, Ben Lovejoy and Andrew Hutchinson are getting the call to help steady the Pens in the meantime.
The lack of solid defense for the Pens is also showing its effects on goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury whose stats have taken an early season plunge into the dumpster. Fleury is 0-3-0 with a .853 save percentage and a goals against average of 3.41. It’s obviously early and those numbers are awful, but inconsistent and very young defense in front of him aren’t helping matters. If you think this makes for a good time to panic in Pittsburgh… Relax, things will get better. No one’s season is in trouble after four games.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)