Oct 14, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
Perhaps you should keep an eye out for ex-girlfriends and friends-turned-enemies tonight, as there are plenty of awkward reunions this Thursday.
Two of the biggest stories of the day center on teams seeing their old heroes, as Mike Modano is playing against the Dallas Stars after suiting up for them for more than 20 years while Simon Gagne faces the Philadelphia Flyers after 10 high-scoring seasons in Cream Cheese Land.
But the uncomfortable glances won’t just be shared in Dallas and Philadelphia, though. While they’ve been away from Sunrise, Florida for at a season or more, there might be some strange feelings for Panthers fans as they watch former stars Olli Jokinen and Jay Bouwmeester in Calgary uniforms. Even if Florida fans fail to truly “miss” those ex-Panthers and the game is taking place in Calgary.
George Richards of On Frozen Pond discussed Bouwmeester’s struggles under the Calgary hockey spotlight while Jokinen expressed his hopes that the Panthers “have it figured out.” Donny Rivette of Litter Box Cats captures the mixed feelings in Florida the best, though.
The “novelty” of facing former players tends to last longer among Florida fans; given that many ex-Cats left the club on less than amicable terms – and little on-ice success with which to fill the void – getting fired up for an evening featuring a Bouwmeester appearance is understandably easy.
Seeing Jokinen flop and Bouwmeester struggle to live up to big expectations (and a giant contract) made me wonder if there’s a “Panthers Effect”: a player looks like a diamond in that low-success rough in Florida only to flounder when expectations rise and their paths face more resistance. Nathan Horton is dispelling that notion a bit so far in Boston, but there’s little doubt that things haven’t been ideal for the Panthers (or those former players) since they left.
Sometimes breaking up can be a healthy thing. Sometimes one party excels while the other person regresses. Yet, in the case of Bouwmeester, Jokinen and the Panthers, it seems like things have been worse for everyone after they split.
Well, everyone but Bouwmeester’s accountant, I guess.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)