Oct 14, 2010, 4:59 PM EDT
With Brian Rolston on LTIR for the next 4-6 weeks due to sports hernia surgery, the Devils have free reign to call up players from the AHL to help them ice a full roster of players and they did that today by calling three players up from Albany. Forwards Jacob Josefson and Tim Sestito and defenseman Matt Corrente get the call to help the Devils play a full roster for the first time since the second game of the year.
Corrente getting called up makes sense because he was one of the Devils last players cut in training camp and he might just get a chance to make his presence felt right away thanks to an unlucky injury elsewhere on the team. Defenseman Mark Fraser is out 4-6 weeks with a broken hand that he apparently suffered in a fight with Sabres forward Cody McCormick last night.
Corrente gets to fill the role of physical presence depth defenseman. He’ll drop the gloves from time to time similar to how Fraser does but the Devils are hoping his youthful upside can help out. As for Josefson, we mentioned him a little bit yesterday and thought that he might be a bit too green to get the NHL call but clearly his upside tickles the Devils fancy and he’ll get a shot to play now. Sestito can fill a physical presence that is missing with Pierre-Luc Letorneau-Leblond being back in Albany.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)