Oct 14, 2010, 4:59 PM EDT
With Brian Rolston on LTIR for the next 4-6 weeks due to sports hernia surgery, the Devils have free reign to call up players from the AHL to help them ice a full roster of players and they did that today by calling three players up from Albany. Forwards Jacob Josefson and Tim Sestito and defenseman Matt Corrente get the call to help the Devils play a full roster for the first time since the second game of the year.
Corrente getting called up makes sense because he was one of the Devils last players cut in training camp and he might just get a chance to make his presence felt right away thanks to an unlucky injury elsewhere on the team. Defenseman Mark Fraser is out 4-6 weeks with a broken hand that he apparently suffered in a fight with Sabres forward Cody McCormick last night.
Corrente gets to fill the role of physical presence depth defenseman. He’ll drop the gloves from time to time similar to how Fraser does but the Devils are hoping his youthful upside can help out. As for Josefson, we mentioned him a little bit yesterday and thought that he might be a bit too green to get the NHL call but clearly his upside tickles the Devils fancy and he’ll get a shot to play now. Sestito can fill a physical presence that is missing with Pierre-Luc Letorneau-Leblond being back in Albany.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)