Oct 14, 2010, 4:59 PM EST
With Brian Rolston on LTIR for the next 4-6 weeks due to sports hernia surgery, the Devils have free reign to call up players from the AHL to help them ice a full roster of players and they did that today by calling three players up from Albany. Forwards Jacob Josefson and Tim Sestito and defenseman Matt Corrente get the call to help the Devils play a full roster for the first time since the second game of the year.
Corrente getting called up makes sense because he was one of the Devils last players cut in training camp and he might just get a chance to make his presence felt right away thanks to an unlucky injury elsewhere on the team. Defenseman Mark Fraser is out 4-6 weeks with a broken hand that he apparently suffered in a fight with Sabres forward Cody McCormick last night.
Corrente gets to fill the role of physical presence depth defenseman. He’ll drop the gloves from time to time similar to how Fraser does but the Devils are hoping his youthful upside can help out. As for Josefson, we mentioned him a little bit yesterday and thought that he might be a bit too green to get the NHL call but clearly his upside tickles the Devils fancy and he’ll get a shot to play now. Sestito can fill a physical presence that is missing with Pierre-Luc Letorneau-Leblond being back in Albany.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (125)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)