Oct 14, 2010, 4:59 PM EDT
With Brian Rolston on LTIR for the next 4-6 weeks due to sports hernia surgery, the Devils have free reign to call up players from the AHL to help them ice a full roster of players and they did that today by calling three players up from Albany. Forwards Jacob Josefson and Tim Sestito and defenseman Matt Corrente get the call to help the Devils play a full roster for the first time since the second game of the year.
Corrente getting called up makes sense because he was one of the Devils last players cut in training camp and he might just get a chance to make his presence felt right away thanks to an unlucky injury elsewhere on the team. Defenseman Mark Fraser is out 4-6 weeks with a broken hand that he apparently suffered in a fight with Sabres forward Cody McCormick last night.
Corrente gets to fill the role of physical presence depth defenseman. He’ll drop the gloves from time to time similar to how Fraser does but the Devils are hoping his youthful upside can help out. As for Josefson, we mentioned him a little bit yesterday and thought that he might be a bit too green to get the NHL call but clearly his upside tickles the Devils fancy and he’ll get a shot to play now. Sestito can fill a physical presence that is missing with Pierre-Luc Letorneau-Leblond being back in Albany.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25