Oct 14, 2010, 7:38 PM EDT
You’ve probably heard this borderline cliche before, but it seems to be pretty accurate: the only thing tougher than winning a Stanley Cup is winning it again the next season.
The Chicago Blackhawks actually are playing some pretty good hockey so far this season; it just seems like they’ve been just a goal or save short by going 1-2-1 in their first four games in 2009-10. Each loss has been by one goal, so it’s not as if the team is falling flat on its face. I’m not sure if I buy the whole “the Blackhawks are marked men because they won the Cup angle” since it was no secret they would be an elite team last year, but it does seem like they’ve been in a tough fight each night so far.
They’ll face a more literal hurdle on Friday, though, as the team reportedly will be without Patrick Kane as the young forward deals with “an illness” that began to take effect after Wednesday’s game against the Nashville Predators, according to David Haugh.
Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane missed practice Thursday morning with an illness and will not make the trip to Columbus for Friday night’s game, according to Coach Joel Quenneville.
“Kaner’s sick,” Quenneville said.
It doesn’t sound like Kane will miss too much time, though, so this should just be a minor setback for the Blackhawks. It might even be a blessing in disguise, as Kane might need the rest after playing every game last season.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 6
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 56
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)