Oct 14, 2010, 7:38 PM EDT
You’ve probably heard this borderline cliche before, but it seems to be pretty accurate: the only thing tougher than winning a Stanley Cup is winning it again the next season.
The Chicago Blackhawks actually are playing some pretty good hockey so far this season; it just seems like they’ve been just a goal or save short by going 1-2-1 in their first four games in 2009-10. Each loss has been by one goal, so it’s not as if the team is falling flat on its face. I’m not sure if I buy the whole “the Blackhawks are marked men because they won the Cup angle” since it was no secret they would be an elite team last year, but it does seem like they’ve been in a tough fight each night so far.
They’ll face a more literal hurdle on Friday, though, as the team reportedly will be without Patrick Kane as the young forward deals with “an illness” that began to take effect after Wednesday’s game against the Nashville Predators, according to David Haugh.
Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane missed practice Thursday morning with an illness and will not make the trip to Columbus for Friday night’s game, according to Coach Joel Quenneville.
“Kaner’s sick,” Quenneville said.
It doesn’t sound like Kane will miss too much time, though, so this should just be a minor setback for the Blackhawks. It might even be a blessing in disguise, as Kane might need the rest after playing every game last season.
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 16
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 24
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 90
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: Vokoun robs Greening
- Play Video: Crosby scores twice early on in Game 2