Oct 14, 2010, 7:38 PM EST
You’ve probably heard this borderline cliche before, but it seems to be pretty accurate: the only thing tougher than winning a Stanley Cup is winning it again the next season.
The Chicago Blackhawks actually are playing some pretty good hockey so far this season; it just seems like they’ve been just a goal or save short by going 1-2-1 in their first four games in 2009-10. Each loss has been by one goal, so it’s not as if the team is falling flat on its face. I’m not sure if I buy the whole “the Blackhawks are marked men because they won the Cup angle” since it was no secret they would be an elite team last year, but it does seem like they’ve been in a tough fight each night so far.
They’ll face a more literal hurdle on Friday, though, as the team reportedly will be without Patrick Kane as the young forward deals with “an illness” that began to take effect after Wednesday’s game against the Nashville Predators, according to David Haugh.
Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane missed practice Thursday morning with an illness and will not make the trip to Columbus for Friday night’s game, according to Coach Joel Quenneville.
“Kaner’s sick,” Quenneville said.
It doesn’t sound like Kane will miss too much time, though, so this should just be a minor setback for the Blackhawks. It might even be a blessing in disguise, as Kane might need the rest after playing every game last season.
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 3
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 17
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18