Oct 14, 2010, 6:48 PM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes left Helsinki, Finland for the better, even if they might still be a bit bleary-eyed from the long flight and crazy hour change. They went 2-0 and Cam Ward looked sharp, but the biggest beneficiary might just be Sergei Samsonov.
He missed those first two games recovering from a preseason injury, but the Hurricanes’ lengthy break between Games 2 and 3 of the regular season allowed Samsonov to rest up without missing too many contests. Chip Alexander reports that the team expects to see the speedy Russian back for tonight’s game against the Ottawa Senators.
Samsonov didn’t have an outstanding season last year, scoring 29 points in 72 games and registering a paltry -15 rating in 2009-10. He’s also a pretty limited player, as he’s listed at only 5’8″ and 188 lbs. Still, the Hurricanes aren’t a terribly deep team, so Samsonov’s speed and skill makes him a fairly valuable asset in Carolina.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 10
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 13
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 25
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 6
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)