Philadelphia Flyers-Pittsburgh Penguins game will start early to avoid ‘full conflict’ with Phillies’ playoff game Saturday
Oct 13, 2010, 9:08 PM EDT
While sports fans can bicker about which sport is better (“Hockey is faster and more violent!” … “Baseball has tradition and homers!”), it’s kind of nice to see professional sports teams acknowledge the other sports in their city. That’s exactly what the Philadelphia Flyers will do Saturday, as the team will move the start time of their game against the Pittsburgh Penguins to accommodate fans who enjoy hardball as well as hockey. The Associated Press shares the details.
The Flyers and Penguins will face off at 6 p.m. – one hour earlier than the scheduled start time. The Phillies will play the San Francisco Giants in the opener of the National League championship series at 7:57 at Citizens Bank Park.
The new start time for the hockey game will reduce traffic congestion in the area and allow fans the chance to attend both events or watch them on television.
Fans will reportedly be able to watch the Phillies game in the Wells Fargo Center’s pavilion after the Flyers-Penguins game, but I thought I’d make it that much easier for dual-sport fans to enjoy both games by providing directions from the Flyers’ arena to the Phillies’ ball park. Yes, I agree that I’m extremely generous and thoughtful … but thanks for saying that, imaginary reader.
Update: To the surprise of no one who’s traveled with me in a car, I goofed up the directions. The two sporting complexes are actually in walking distance from each other. D’oh. (Here are some helpful walking directions, from commenter flyerscup2010.)
This is the next best route to get there, aside from that secret tunnel from the Holiday Inn to Citizens Bank Park, naturally.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 7
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)