Philadelphia Flyers-Pittsburgh Penguins game will start early to avoid ‘full conflict’ with Phillies’ playoff game Saturday
Oct 13, 2010, 9:08 PM EDT
While sports fans can bicker about which sport is better (“Hockey is faster and more violent!” … “Baseball has tradition and homers!”), it’s kind of nice to see professional sports teams acknowledge the other sports in their city. That’s exactly what the Philadelphia Flyers will do Saturday, as the team will move the start time of their game against the Pittsburgh Penguins to accommodate fans who enjoy hardball as well as hockey. The Associated Press shares the details.
The Flyers and Penguins will face off at 6 p.m. – one hour earlier than the scheduled start time. The Phillies will play the San Francisco Giants in the opener of the National League championship series at 7:57 at Citizens Bank Park.
The new start time for the hockey game will reduce traffic congestion in the area and allow fans the chance to attend both events or watch them on television.
Fans will reportedly be able to watch the Phillies game in the Wells Fargo Center’s pavilion after the Flyers-Penguins game, but I thought I’d make it that much easier for dual-sport fans to enjoy both games by providing directions from the Flyers’ arena to the Phillies’ ball park. Yes, I agree that I’m extremely generous and thoughtful … but thanks for saying that, imaginary reader.
Update: To the surprise of no one who’s traveled with me in a car, I goofed up the directions. The two sporting complexes are actually in walking distance from each other. D’oh. (Here are some helpful walking directions, from commenter flyerscup2010.)
This is the next best route to get there, aside from that secret tunnel from the Holiday Inn to Citizens Bank Park, naturally.
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 11
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 13
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M
- Play Video: Are the Red Wings a true contender?
- Play Video: Chara bleeds after being struck by high-stick
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3