Philadelphia Flyers-Pittsburgh Penguins game will start early to avoid ‘full conflict’ with Phillies’ playoff game Saturday
Oct 13, 2010, 9:08 PM EDT
While sports fans can bicker about which sport is better (“Hockey is faster and more violent!” … “Baseball has tradition and homers!”), it’s kind of nice to see professional sports teams acknowledge the other sports in their city. That’s exactly what the Philadelphia Flyers will do Saturday, as the team will move the start time of their game against the Pittsburgh Penguins to accommodate fans who enjoy hardball as well as hockey. The Associated Press shares the details.
The Flyers and Penguins will face off at 6 p.m. – one hour earlier than the scheduled start time. The Phillies will play the San Francisco Giants in the opener of the National League championship series at 7:57 at Citizens Bank Park.
The new start time for the hockey game will reduce traffic congestion in the area and allow fans the chance to attend both events or watch them on television.
Fans will reportedly be able to watch the Phillies game in the Wells Fargo Center’s pavilion after the Flyers-Penguins game, but I thought I’d make it that much easier for dual-sport fans to enjoy both games by providing directions from the Flyers’ arena to the Phillies’ ball park. Yes, I agree that I’m extremely generous and thoughtful … but thanks for saying that, imaginary reader.
Update: To the surprise of no one who’s traveled with me in a car, I goofed up the directions. The two sporting complexes are actually in walking distance from each other. D’oh. (Here are some helpful walking directions, from commenter flyerscup2010.)
This is the next best route to get there, aside from that secret tunnel from the Holiday Inn to Citizens Bank Park, naturally.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)