Philadelphia Flyers-Pittsburgh Penguins game will start early to avoid ‘full conflict’ with Phillies’ playoff game Saturday
Oct 13, 2010, 9:08 PM EDT
While sports fans can bicker about which sport is better (“Hockey is faster and more violent!” … “Baseball has tradition and homers!”), it’s kind of nice to see professional sports teams acknowledge the other sports in their city. That’s exactly what the Philadelphia Flyers will do Saturday, as the team will move the start time of their game against the Pittsburgh Penguins to accommodate fans who enjoy hardball as well as hockey. The Associated Press shares the details.
The Flyers and Penguins will face off at 6 p.m. – one hour earlier than the scheduled start time. The Phillies will play the San Francisco Giants in the opener of the National League championship series at 7:57 at Citizens Bank Park.
The new start time for the hockey game will reduce traffic congestion in the area and allow fans the chance to attend both events or watch them on television.
Fans will reportedly be able to watch the Phillies game in the Wells Fargo Center’s pavilion after the Flyers-Penguins game, but I thought I’d make it that much easier for dual-sport fans to enjoy both games by providing directions from the Flyers’ arena to the Phillies’ ball park. Yes, I agree that I’m extremely generous and thoughtful … but thanks for saying that, imaginary reader.
Update: To the surprise of no one who’s traveled with me in a car, I goofed up the directions. The two sporting complexes are actually in walking distance from each other. D’oh. (Here are some helpful walking directions, from commenter flyerscup2010.)
This is the next best route to get there, aside from that secret tunnel from the Holiday Inn to Citizens Bank Park, naturally.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 40
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 17
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 13
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)