Philadelphia Flyers-Pittsburgh Penguins game will start early to avoid ‘full conflict’ with Phillies’ playoff game Saturday
Oct 13, 2010, 9:08 PM EST
While sports fans can bicker about which sport is better (“Hockey is faster and more violent!” … “Baseball has tradition and homers!”), it’s kind of nice to see professional sports teams acknowledge the other sports in their city. That’s exactly what the Philadelphia Flyers will do Saturday, as the team will move the start time of their game against the Pittsburgh Penguins to accommodate fans who enjoy hardball as well as hockey. The Associated Press shares the details.
The Flyers and Penguins will face off at 6 p.m. – one hour earlier than the scheduled start time. The Phillies will play the San Francisco Giants in the opener of the National League championship series at 7:57 at Citizens Bank Park.
The new start time for the hockey game will reduce traffic congestion in the area and allow fans the chance to attend both events or watch them on television.
Fans will reportedly be able to watch the Phillies game in the Wells Fargo Center’s pavilion after the Flyers-Penguins game, but I thought I’d make it that much easier for dual-sport fans to enjoy both games by providing directions from the Flyers’ arena to the Phillies’ ball park. Yes, I agree that I’m extremely generous and thoughtful … but thanks for saying that, imaginary reader.
Update: To the surprise of no one who’s traveled with me in a car, I goofed up the directions. The two sporting complexes are actually in walking distance from each other. D’oh. (Here are some helpful walking directions, from commenter flyerscup2010.)
This is the next best route to get there, aside from that secret tunnel from the Holiday Inn to Citizens Bank Park, naturally.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)