Oct 13, 2010, 2:15 AM EDT
A wild, up and down game that saw Detroit manage to take the lead a couple of times while being outshot by a distinct margin ends up being decided in the skills competition. There, Avs goalie Peter Budaj redeemed himself after having a bit of a rough outing. David Jones had two goals for Colorado while Johan Franzen had two for Detroit. Former BU Terrier Brandon Yip scored the only goal of the six-round shootout putting it over the shoulder of former Maine Black Bear Jimmy Howard. Budaj stopped 24 of 28 shots in regulation and all six he saw in the shootout. Jimmy Howard had solid effort despite the loss stopping 34 out of 38 shots he faced.
It took the Kings two periods to get things going offensively, but when they did they looked impressive beating an Atlanta team that was able to mostly match up well with them. Ryan Smyth had two goals, including the empty netter, while Jarret Stoll got the game-winner. Chris Thorburn scored Atlanta’s lone goal and his line with rookie Alexander Burmistrov and Ben Eager looked solid all night. Jon Quick stopped 31 shots in the win while Chris Mason saved 32 of 34 taking the loss.
It’s tough to have the highlight of the night on the ice when the National Anthem played before the game was performed by former Guns ‘N Roses lead guitarist Slash. If nothing else, L.A. knows how to play up the fact that they are Hollywood.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)