Oct 13, 2010, 2:15 AM EDT
A wild, up and down game that saw Detroit manage to take the lead a couple of times while being outshot by a distinct margin ends up being decided in the skills competition. There, Avs goalie Peter Budaj redeemed himself after having a bit of a rough outing. David Jones had two goals for Colorado while Johan Franzen had two for Detroit. Former BU Terrier Brandon Yip scored the only goal of the six-round shootout putting it over the shoulder of former Maine Black Bear Jimmy Howard. Budaj stopped 24 of 28 shots in regulation and all six he saw in the shootout. Jimmy Howard had solid effort despite the loss stopping 34 out of 38 shots he faced.
It took the Kings two periods to get things going offensively, but when they did they looked impressive beating an Atlanta team that was able to mostly match up well with them. Ryan Smyth had two goals, including the empty netter, while Jarret Stoll got the game-winner. Chris Thorburn scored Atlanta’s lone goal and his line with rookie Alexander Burmistrov and Ben Eager looked solid all night. Jon Quick stopped 31 shots in the win while Chris Mason saved 32 of 34 taking the loss.
It’s tough to have the highlight of the night on the ice when the National Anthem played before the game was performed by former Guns ‘N Roses lead guitarist Slash. If nothing else, L.A. knows how to play up the fact that they are Hollywood.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)