Oct 13, 2010, 10:24 PM EDT
Both Martin Brodeur and Ryan Miller were going through some rare struggles as they went into tonight’s game in Buffalo. Each goalie played a strong game, but Brodeur ended up with the win – and his 111th career shutout – as the New Jersey Devils finally notched a “W.” The Devils and Sabres now share matching 1-2-1 records this season.
The Sabres were lucky to be in this one after an abysmal first period. The Devils out-shot the Sabres 15-1 in that initial frame, yet Miller kept New Jersey off the scoreboard until $100 million man Ilya Kovalchuk scored the game-winner 53 seconds into overtime.
You can’t really fault Miller much, as he faced 11 more shots than Brodeur (Miller went 34 for 35 while Brodeur stopped all 24 shots) and at least helped Buffalo earn a point in this one.
If Buffalo fails to win their division or even make the playoffs, they’ll look to this game as a missed opportunity. While New Jersey wasn’t as shorthanded as they were on Monday, they still only dressed 16 out of 18 skaters in this game. To be out-shot that badly by a road team lacking its full array of forwards must be a little embarrassing for the punch-less Sabres.
It hasn’t been pretty, but the Devils are 1-1 in the two games they dealt with a short bench. Who knows how tough this team could be once they dress a full roster?
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 15
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 8
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)