Oct 13, 2010, 10:24 PM EDT
Both Martin Brodeur and Ryan Miller were going through some rare struggles as they went into tonight’s game in Buffalo. Each goalie played a strong game, but Brodeur ended up with the win – and his 111th career shutout – as the New Jersey Devils finally notched a “W.” The Devils and Sabres now share matching 1-2-1 records this season.
The Sabres were lucky to be in this one after an abysmal first period. The Devils out-shot the Sabres 15-1 in that initial frame, yet Miller kept New Jersey off the scoreboard until $100 million man Ilya Kovalchuk scored the game-winner 53 seconds into overtime.
You can’t really fault Miller much, as he faced 11 more shots than Brodeur (Miller went 34 for 35 while Brodeur stopped all 24 shots) and at least helped Buffalo earn a point in this one.
If Buffalo fails to win their division or even make the playoffs, they’ll look to this game as a missed opportunity. While New Jersey wasn’t as shorthanded as they were on Monday, they still only dressed 16 out of 18 skaters in this game. To be out-shot that badly by a road team lacking its full array of forwards must be a little embarrassing for the punch-less Sabres.
It hasn’t been pretty, but the Devils are 1-1 in the two games they dealt with a short bench. Who knows how tough this team could be once they dress a full roster?
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 18
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 14
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)