Oct 13, 2010, 10:24 PM EST
Both Martin Brodeur and Ryan Miller were going through some rare struggles as they went into tonight’s game in Buffalo. Each goalie played a strong game, but Brodeur ended up with the win – and his 111th career shutout – as the New Jersey Devils finally notched a “W.” The Devils and Sabres now share matching 1-2-1 records this season.
The Sabres were lucky to be in this one after an abysmal first period. The Devils out-shot the Sabres 15-1 in that initial frame, yet Miller kept New Jersey off the scoreboard until $100 million man Ilya Kovalchuk scored the game-winner 53 seconds into overtime.
You can’t really fault Miller much, as he faced 11 more shots than Brodeur (Miller went 34 for 35 while Brodeur stopped all 24 shots) and at least helped Buffalo earn a point in this one.
If Buffalo fails to win their division or even make the playoffs, they’ll look to this game as a missed opportunity. While New Jersey wasn’t as shorthanded as they were on Monday, they still only dressed 16 out of 18 skaters in this game. To be out-shot that badly by a road team lacking its full array of forwards must be a little embarrassing for the punch-less Sabres.
It hasn’t been pretty, but the Devils are 1-1 in the two games they dealt with a short bench. Who knows how tough this team could be once they dress a full roster?
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)