Oct 13, 2010, 12:36 PM EDT
Ducks forward Joffrey Lupul has had himself a hard time lately. Lupul has been out of the Ducks lineup since December 8th thanks to getting surgery on his back. While the surgery went well, the recovery has gone slowly thanks to getting a bacterial blood infection after the fact.
For Lupul, the road to recovery has been and continues to be a slow-going one and one that’s helping him learn about being patient. Being patient is made a lot more difficult as his team struggles mightily to start the season. The Sporting News’ Craig Custance finds out from Lupul that learning to pace himself in recovery is hard but necessary especially when not doing that leads to more problems.
He thought he had the infection beat in June, started working out again, started skating again and the intense pain returned.
“The explanation that I was given was that the bacteria love the movement,” Lupul said.
It was another setback in what’s been a life-changing year for the Edmonton native.
“There were a couple months where I was beginning to get really worried about my career and even to take it a step further, I was starting to get worried about my life in general,” he said. “I was having a real tough time moving around. There were days on end when I wasn’t getting out of bed.”
Having to deal with something like this where moving around only helps the infection out is the most unfortunate part of this for Lupul considering his career is a professional hockey player. Movement is kind of a big deal there. For the Ducks, after scoring just two goals in their first three games, not having him in the lineup means not having a guy that’s counted on to score goals that they so desperately need.
Things are improving for him, however and Ducks GM Bob Murray is hoping that he can be back in the Ducks lineup by Christmas time.
For Lupul, however, he’s taken his forced time off to at least keep Ducks and NHL fans alike apprised of how he’s doing and what he’s up to through Twitter. Just be careful if you’re asking him his opinion about Brett Favre.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (81)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)