Oct 13, 2010, 12:36 PM EDT
Ducks forward Joffrey Lupul has had himself a hard time lately. Lupul has been out of the Ducks lineup since December 8th thanks to getting surgery on his back. While the surgery went well, the recovery has gone slowly thanks to getting a bacterial blood infection after the fact.
For Lupul, the road to recovery has been and continues to be a slow-going one and one that’s helping him learn about being patient. Being patient is made a lot more difficult as his team struggles mightily to start the season. The Sporting News’ Craig Custance finds out from Lupul that learning to pace himself in recovery is hard but necessary especially when not doing that leads to more problems.
He thought he had the infection beat in June, started working out again, started skating again and the intense pain returned.
“The explanation that I was given was that the bacteria love the movement,” Lupul said.
It was another setback in what’s been a life-changing year for the Edmonton native.
“There were a couple months where I was beginning to get really worried about my career and even to take it a step further, I was starting to get worried about my life in general,” he said. “I was having a real tough time moving around. There were days on end when I wasn’t getting out of bed.”
Having to deal with something like this where moving around only helps the infection out is the most unfortunate part of this for Lupul considering his career is a professional hockey player. Movement is kind of a big deal there. For the Ducks, after scoring just two goals in their first three games, not having him in the lineup means not having a guy that’s counted on to score goals that they so desperately need.
Things are improving for him, however and Ducks GM Bob Murray is hoping that he can be back in the Ducks lineup by Christmas time.
For Lupul, however, he’s taken his forced time off to at least keep Ducks and NHL fans alike apprised of how he’s doing and what he’s up to through Twitter. Just be careful if you’re asking him his opinion about Brett Favre.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)