Oct 13, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
Another day is upon us and with it a semi-filled schedule of NHL joy awaits. Many eyes figure to be turned towards Pittsburgh this evening as we’ve got a full-blown Bizarro World situation in effect with the Leafs coming to town. That’s not the only game involving a Canadian team and oozing with intrigue, though. All times listed are Eastern. Some day you’ll all begin to conform to our Easterly ways, I’m just doing my part to help things along.
New Jersey @ Buffalo
Jason Pominville isn’t expected to play for Buffalo, while the Devils appear ready to go to battle with just 16 skaters after adding Adam Mair to the mix yesterday. Both Mair and Henrik Tallinder make their first appearance in Buffalo with their new teams after leaving the Sabres after last season.
NY Islanders @ Washington
Washington figures to be without forward Marcus Johansson, meanwhile Michal Neuvirth should be in goal once again for the Caps. The Islanders, meanwhile, look to build off of their 6-4 win over the Rangers from Monday. The Isles had an inspired effort against their big rivals, but expect life to be a little bit harder having to try and handle Alex Ovechkin and the Caps.
Toronto @ Pittsburgh
If we told you one team would be 2-0 and the other 1-2, we’d bet you’d think that the Leafs were starting off the same way they always do by losing while Pittsburgh was busy winning. Guess again, smart guy. See what you get for assuming? You get embarrassed.
Anyhow, the Leafs have gotten their wins by stopping power plays (Leafs are 7-7 on the PK) and getting solid goaltending from Jean-Sebastian Giguere while Phil Kessel does that whole goal-scoring thing. The Pens aren’t playing badly, they’re just getting eked out a bit. Their win over a short-handed Devils team on Monday might be what they needed to get things going.
Tampa Bay @ Montreal
Well, well, well… Hello, intrigue. The Lightning spent the better part of their off-season taking what they wanted from the Canadiens organization in the form of head coach Guy Boucher and both of his assistant coaches who came from the Habs AHL affiliate as well as centerman Dominic Moore and goalie Dan Ellis (although he was a Hab in name only during the off-season). If anyone is going to know how the Canadiens work, it’ll be Boucher. How that translates on the ice we’ll get to find out. Tampa won their only game of the season over Atlanta 5-3. Montreal is 1-1 beating Pittsburgh but losing to Toronto opening night.
Nashville @ Chicago
Last year’s first round playoff foes square off for the first time this season and Nashville will be going into the game shorthanded in goal. Starter Pekka Rinne is out and Anders Lindback will get the start for the Predators. Chicago will be without the services of defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson serving the first game of his two-game suspension. Expect this one to be a hard-hitting affair.
Vancouver @ Anaheim
Oh the Anaheim Ducks. They’ve had an abysmal start to the season and things don’t figure to get any easier against the Canucks. At least this time, the fightin’ Ducks have home ice to back them up as this will be their home opener. While the Ducks have been brutal defensively, they’re at least making life miserable for their opponents in other ways by punching everything that moves and fighting everyone. That sort of action doesn’t scare the Canucks. If the Ducks can’t contain the Sedin twins, it could turn into another long, feisty evening for the water fowl.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 112
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 80
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)