Oct 12, 2010, 8:39 PM EDT
While we’ve seen our host of hockey legacies through time with Gordie Howe and his sons as well with virtually the entire Sutter clan, following in the footsteps of your father who’s regarded as the greatest player of all time has to be especially daunting. That’s why when Wayne Gretzky’s son Trevor made his choice for a sport to play, it’s probably best he didn’t lace up the skates. Of course, that just makes it a little bit stranger to discuss a Gretzky moving on to play baseball the way Trevor is.
Trevor Gretzky, son of hockey great Wayne Gretzky, has committed to play baseball at San Diego State.
He is a first baseman who hit .341 with two home runs and 33 RBIs last spring at Westlake Village Oaks Christian High.
Those are some pretty sweet numbers for the son of the Great One. What makes his choice of going to San Diego State all the more interesting is that his coach there will be none other than baseball hall of famer Tony Gwynn. I don’t think we’ve got to worry about Trevor Gretzky being star struck at having a hall of fame coach. When your dad is Wayne Gretzky you probably don’t get too nervous meeting anyone that’s a celebrity.
At the very least, Trevor will get a chance to make a name for himself in a sport that his dad wasn’t the greatest of all time in. He’ll also avoid the ignominy of being thrown into the discussion with his uncle Brent Gretzky as being unable to keep up with Wayne.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)