Oct 12, 2010, 8:39 PM EDT
While we’ve seen our host of hockey legacies through time with Gordie Howe and his sons as well with virtually the entire Sutter clan, following in the footsteps of your father who’s regarded as the greatest player of all time has to be especially daunting. That’s why when Wayne Gretzky’s son Trevor made his choice for a sport to play, it’s probably best he didn’t lace up the skates. Of course, that just makes it a little bit stranger to discuss a Gretzky moving on to play baseball the way Trevor is.
Trevor Gretzky, son of hockey great Wayne Gretzky, has committed to play baseball at San Diego State.
He is a first baseman who hit .341 with two home runs and 33 RBIs last spring at Westlake Village Oaks Christian High.
Those are some pretty sweet numbers for the son of the Great One. What makes his choice of going to San Diego State all the more interesting is that his coach there will be none other than baseball hall of famer Tony Gwynn. I don’t think we’ve got to worry about Trevor Gretzky being star struck at having a hall of fame coach. When your dad is Wayne Gretzky you probably don’t get too nervous meeting anyone that’s a celebrity.
At the very least, Trevor will get a chance to make a name for himself in a sport that his dad wasn’t the greatest of all time in. He’ll also avoid the ignominy of being thrown into the discussion with his uncle Brent Gretzky as being unable to keep up with Wayne.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 5
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 11
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 38
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic