Oct 12, 2010, 8:39 PM EST
While we’ve seen our host of hockey legacies through time with Gordie Howe and his sons as well with virtually the entire Sutter clan, following in the footsteps of your father who’s regarded as the greatest player of all time has to be especially daunting. That’s why when Wayne Gretzky’s son Trevor made his choice for a sport to play, it’s probably best he didn’t lace up the skates. Of course, that just makes it a little bit stranger to discuss a Gretzky moving on to play baseball the way Trevor is.
Trevor Gretzky, son of hockey great Wayne Gretzky, has committed to play baseball at San Diego State.
He is a first baseman who hit .341 with two home runs and 33 RBIs last spring at Westlake Village Oaks Christian High.
Those are some pretty sweet numbers for the son of the Great One. What makes his choice of going to San Diego State all the more interesting is that his coach there will be none other than baseball hall of famer Tony Gwynn. I don’t think we’ve got to worry about Trevor Gretzky being star struck at having a hall of fame coach. When your dad is Wayne Gretzky you probably don’t get too nervous meeting anyone that’s a celebrity.
At the very least, Trevor will get a chance to make a name for himself in a sport that his dad wasn’t the greatest of all time in. He’ll also avoid the ignominy of being thrown into the discussion with his uncle Brent Gretzky as being unable to keep up with Wayne.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12