Oct 12, 2010, 8:39 PM EDT
While we’ve seen our host of hockey legacies through time with Gordie Howe and his sons as well with virtually the entire Sutter clan, following in the footsteps of your father who’s regarded as the greatest player of all time has to be especially daunting. That’s why when Wayne Gretzky’s son Trevor made his choice for a sport to play, it’s probably best he didn’t lace up the skates. Of course, that just makes it a little bit stranger to discuss a Gretzky moving on to play baseball the way Trevor is.
Trevor Gretzky, son of hockey great Wayne Gretzky, has committed to play baseball at San Diego State.
He is a first baseman who hit .341 with two home runs and 33 RBIs last spring at Westlake Village Oaks Christian High.
Those are some pretty sweet numbers for the son of the Great One. What makes his choice of going to San Diego State all the more interesting is that his coach there will be none other than baseball hall of famer Tony Gwynn. I don’t think we’ve got to worry about Trevor Gretzky being star struck at having a hall of fame coach. When your dad is Wayne Gretzky you probably don’t get too nervous meeting anyone that’s a celebrity.
At the very least, Trevor will get a chance to make a name for himself in a sport that his dad wasn’t the greatest of all time in. He’ll also avoid the ignominy of being thrown into the discussion with his uncle Brent Gretzky as being unable to keep up with Wayne.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (100)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)