Oct 12, 2010, 11:42 AM EDT
You have to wonder if there was at least a small part of Roberto Luongo that felt bad for opposing goalie Tomas Vokoun.
After all, just a few years ago, Luongo was the ace Florida Panthers goalie who saw more rubber than a busy highway game after game and stopped most of those shots, only the team in front of him wasn’t strong enough to do much with his efforts anyway. Eventually Luongo was traded from the Panthers to the Vancouver Canucks in a laughable swap that included Todd Bertuzzi and Alex Auld and now must worry about being blamed for losses instead of being the one bright spot in a grim situation.
Whether there was empathy or not, Luongo and the Canucks left tonight’s game with a narrow win. He stopped 41 out of 42 shots as it seems like he’s responding well to the reduced pressure of losing the captaincy (not to mention the Canucks’ hiring a new goalie coach in Roland Melanson) while Vokoun stopped 33 out of 35.
Daniel Sedin scored both of Vancouver’s goals, each one assisted by his brother Henrik and fellow Swede Mikael Samuelsson. Rostislav Olesz scored the Panthers’ lone goal with assists from Mike Santorelli and Cory Stillman. The Canucks managed to win without getting a single power play while the Panthers went 0-for-3.
It’s obviously early, but the Canucks are playing well – particularly Luongo – as they begin with a 1-0-1 mark. Florida must wonder if they’re off to another slow start as the team begins the season 0-2. Again, judging too much of the events at this point is hasty, but I still wonder if Vokoun will follow in Luongo’s footsteps and end up getting traded to a contender before the season is over.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)