Oct 12, 2010, 1:29 PM EDT
In most situations when a team wildly overpays a hockey player, the reaction is usually “They gave him that much?” Yet when it came to the Toronto Maple Leafs handing a four-year, $14 million deal to Jeff Finger, the most common reaction was: “Who?”
It was a deal that was indicative of how direction-less the Maple Leafs really were at that time and it only seemed inevitable that the team would push Finger into the minors at some point. While coach Ron Wilson denies that they’re “burying” his cap hit in the minors, TSN reports that the team placed Finger on waivers today. Wilson said that if he clears waivers on Wednesday, he’ll be sent to the Toronto Marlies in the AHL.
Even the most foolish GM will not bite on Finger’s ridiculous $3.5 million cap hit. Honestly, I’d be surprised if the team had any trouble calling him up, either.
The Maple Leafs are one of the NHL’s richest franchises so it’s no surprise that they’re able to stash away $3.5 million in the minors. Teams have been circumventing the salary cap with odd contracts and waiver moves for years, but never has the cap ceiling been a bigger joke than in 2010 (more on that later).
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)