Oct 12, 2010, 1:29 PM EDT
In most situations when a team wildly overpays a hockey player, the reaction is usually “They gave him that much?” Yet when it came to the Toronto Maple Leafs handing a four-year, $14 million deal to Jeff Finger, the most common reaction was: “Who?”
It was a deal that was indicative of how direction-less the Maple Leafs really were at that time and it only seemed inevitable that the team would push Finger into the minors at some point. While coach Ron Wilson denies that they’re “burying” his cap hit in the minors, TSN reports that the team placed Finger on waivers today. Wilson said that if he clears waivers on Wednesday, he’ll be sent to the Toronto Marlies in the AHL.
Even the most foolish GM will not bite on Finger’s ridiculous $3.5 million cap hit. Honestly, I’d be surprised if the team had any trouble calling him up, either.
The Maple Leafs are one of the NHL’s richest franchises so it’s no surprise that they’re able to stash away $3.5 million in the minors. Teams have been circumventing the salary cap with odd contracts and waiver moves for years, but never has the cap ceiling been a bigger joke than in 2010 (more on that later).
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 23
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)