Oct 12, 2010, 1:29 PM EDT
In most situations when a team wildly overpays a hockey player, the reaction is usually “They gave him that much?” Yet when it came to the Toronto Maple Leafs handing a four-year, $14 million deal to Jeff Finger, the most common reaction was: “Who?”
It was a deal that was indicative of how direction-less the Maple Leafs really were at that time and it only seemed inevitable that the team would push Finger into the minors at some point. While coach Ron Wilson denies that they’re “burying” his cap hit in the minors, TSN reports that the team placed Finger on waivers today. Wilson said that if he clears waivers on Wednesday, he’ll be sent to the Toronto Marlies in the AHL.
Even the most foolish GM will not bite on Finger’s ridiculous $3.5 million cap hit. Honestly, I’d be surprised if the team had any trouble calling him up, either.
The Maple Leafs are one of the NHL’s richest franchises so it’s no surprise that they’re able to stash away $3.5 million in the minors. Teams have been circumventing the salary cap with odd contracts and waiver moves for years, but never has the cap ceiling been a bigger joke than in 2010 (more on that later).
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)