Oct 12, 2010, 1:29 PM EDT
In most situations when a team wildly overpays a hockey player, the reaction is usually “They gave him that much?” Yet when it came to the Toronto Maple Leafs handing a four-year, $14 million deal to Jeff Finger, the most common reaction was: “Who?”
It was a deal that was indicative of how direction-less the Maple Leafs really were at that time and it only seemed inevitable that the team would push Finger into the minors at some point. While coach Ron Wilson denies that they’re “burying” his cap hit in the minors, TSN reports that the team placed Finger on waivers today. Wilson said that if he clears waivers on Wednesday, he’ll be sent to the Toronto Marlies in the AHL.
Even the most foolish GM will not bite on Finger’s ridiculous $3.5 million cap hit. Honestly, I’d be surprised if the team had any trouble calling him up, either.
The Maple Leafs are one of the NHL’s richest franchises so it’s no surprise that they’re able to stash away $3.5 million in the minors. Teams have been circumventing the salary cap with odd contracts and waiver moves for years, but never has the cap ceiling been a bigger joke than in 2010 (more on that later).
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 17
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 76
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 95
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)