Oct 12, 2010, 6:05 PM EDT
Whether you’re interested for fantasy hockey reasons or just want to know which goalie your team is playing in a given day, we thought it might be helpful to share our best guesses (based on various previews from newspapers and Web sites plus our own instincts) on who might start each day.
Only two games today, so you probably aren’t facing a ton of goalie starting conundrums. You never know, though, so let’s go over today’s starters anyway.
7:30 PM ET game
Colorado at Detroit
Likely Colorado starter: Peter Budaj – No.1 goalie Craig Anderson had some rough moments against Philadelphia, so it sounds like the team is giving him a breather. I wouldn’t expect Budaj to get many of Anderson’s starts unless he really falls apart. While the Red Wings blue line is banged up, their forward group is relatively healthy and could produce a lot of offense in this one. (Source: Adrian Dater of the Denver Post.)
Likely Detroit starter: Jimmy Howard – It seems like Howard still has a slight edge on Chris Osgood, but considering the team in front of them and the fact that both goalies are in contract years, this could be one of the goalie battles to watch in the NHL. Losing Rafalski will hurt, but the team is starting the season strong so make sure to start Howard tonight. (Source: Ansar Khan.)
10:30 PM ET game
Atlanta at Los Angeles
Likely Atlanta starter: Chris Mason – Expect Mason to start in most (if not all) of the Thrashers game until Ondrej Pavelec can come back healthy from that scary collapsing incident.
Likely Los Angeles starter: Jonathan Quick – OK, it’s not a sure thing that Quick will start but it’s my best guess. The game begins late tonight, so if Bernier gets the nod, we’ll try our best to let you know on time.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 0
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5