Oct 12, 2010, 6:05 PM EDT
Whether you’re interested for fantasy hockey reasons or just want to know which goalie your team is playing in a given day, we thought it might be helpful to share our best guesses (based on various previews from newspapers and Web sites plus our own instincts) on who might start each day.
Only two games today, so you probably aren’t facing a ton of goalie starting conundrums. You never know, though, so let’s go over today’s starters anyway.
7:30 PM ET game
Colorado at Detroit
Likely Colorado starter: Peter Budaj – No.1 goalie Craig Anderson had some rough moments against Philadelphia, so it sounds like the team is giving him a breather. I wouldn’t expect Budaj to get many of Anderson’s starts unless he really falls apart. While the Red Wings blue line is banged up, their forward group is relatively healthy and could produce a lot of offense in this one. (Source: Adrian Dater of the Denver Post.)
Likely Detroit starter: Jimmy Howard – It seems like Howard still has a slight edge on Chris Osgood, but considering the team in front of them and the fact that both goalies are in contract years, this could be one of the goalie battles to watch in the NHL. Losing Rafalski will hurt, but the team is starting the season strong so make sure to start Howard tonight. (Source: Ansar Khan.)
10:30 PM ET game
Atlanta at Los Angeles
Likely Atlanta starter: Chris Mason – Expect Mason to start in most (if not all) of the Thrashers game until Ondrej Pavelec can come back healthy from that scary collapsing incident.
Likely Los Angeles starter: Jonathan Quick – OK, it’s not a sure thing that Quick will start but it’s my best guess. The game begins late tonight, so if Bernier gets the nod, we’ll try our best to let you know on time.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 3
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 13
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 52
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 21
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)