Oct 12, 2010, 12:08 AM EDT
Note: We’ll cover the late Florida-Vancouver game tomorrow morning.
The Rangers took a 4-3 lead late in the third period but the Islanders came storming back. Their resurgence was a little misleading because one of those goals was an empty-netter, but it was still a pretty impressive finish. The Islanders’ game-tying and game-winning goals came less than a minute apart, with P.A. Parentau and Blake Comeau both scoring power-play goals.
We covered the Ducks miseries already, so let me focus on the St. Louis Blues’ side of the story. The Blues domination of the Ducks was truly astonishing; they out-shot Anaheim 53-14. In fact, the Blues had more shots in each period (15, 22, 16) than the Ducks produced in the entire game. Just a total meltdown.
The Penguins almost had to win this one, considering the fact the Devils only dressed 15 skaters and Pittsburgh began the season 0-2. Both Martin Brodeur and Penguins backup Brent Johnson had great games, but the Penguins came out on top. Paul Martin got sweet revenge against his former team, scoring an empty-netter to ice the contest.
Alex Ovechkin scored the game-winner in overtime with a little more than 30 seconds remaining in OT to give the Capitals two straight wins. Michal Neuvirth played well in what might have been his last “audition” as the unquestioned starter in DC, stopping 29 out of 31 shots.
While Niklas Hjalmarsson’s hit on Jason Pominville overshadowed a lot of what happened in this game, but the Blackhawks earned their first win since they won the Stanley Cup thanks to the efforts of Marian Hossa and Corey Crawford’s poise. Hossa scored two goals to help Chicago win while Crawford bounced back from allowing two goals in the first 2:43 of the game to help them get the “W.”
Craig Anderson kept the Avalanche in the game for much of this one, but Jeff Carter scored two goals (including the game-winner) to help the Flyers take this one. By stopping 25 out of 27 shots, Sergei Bobrovsky is now 2-0 in his young NHL career.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 10
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 20
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 24
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 41
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 66
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 91
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 26
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (150)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (102)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)