Oct 12, 2010, 5:35 PM EDT
Sometimes I wonder how some teams make any money – or at least why some of them aren’t making a bigger fuss over losing a ton of it.
The Florida Panthers are one of those teams, as they haven’t made the playoffs (read: been relevant) in ages. The addition of Chicago Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon seems like it would just be a “behind the scenes” thing that wouldn’t register with most fans, but apparently the sweeping changes are capturing at least some people’s attention. The team announced that they “eclipsed” the 10,000 season ticket holder mark, a milestone the team hasn’t reached since 2001.
It’s not all good news for the Panthers at the box office, though. While the team spins it as a “more intimate seating capacity,” they decided to put a tarp over some of the nosebleed seats to fudge their attendance numbers and avoid some empty seat embarrassment.
Regardless, it’s nice to hear that Florida might be turning things around a bit. The team is probably another year or so from being a contender, but there’s finally some justification for optimism in Sunrise.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)