Oct 12, 2010, 5:35 PM EST
Sometimes I wonder how some teams make any money – or at least why some of them aren’t making a bigger fuss over losing a ton of it.
The Florida Panthers are one of those teams, as they haven’t made the playoffs (read: been relevant) in ages. The addition of Chicago Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon seems like it would just be a “behind the scenes” thing that wouldn’t register with most fans, but apparently the sweeping changes are capturing at least some people’s attention. The team announced that they “eclipsed” the 10,000 season ticket holder mark, a milestone the team hasn’t reached since 2001.
It’s not all good news for the Panthers at the box office, though. While the team spins it as a “more intimate seating capacity,” they decided to put a tarp over some of the nosebleed seats to fudge their attendance numbers and avoid some empty seat embarrassment.
Regardless, it’s nice to hear that Florida might be turning things around a bit. The team is probably another year or so from being a contender, but there’s finally some justification for optimism in Sunrise.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 45
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 76
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)