Oct 12, 2010, 5:35 PM EST
Sometimes I wonder how some teams make any money – or at least why some of them aren’t making a bigger fuss over losing a ton of it.
The Florida Panthers are one of those teams, as they haven’t made the playoffs (read: been relevant) in ages. The addition of Chicago Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon seems like it would just be a “behind the scenes” thing that wouldn’t register with most fans, but apparently the sweeping changes are capturing at least some people’s attention. The team announced that they “eclipsed” the 10,000 season ticket holder mark, a milestone the team hasn’t reached since 2001.
It’s not all good news for the Panthers at the box office, though. While the team spins it as a “more intimate seating capacity,” they decided to put a tarp over some of the nosebleed seats to fudge their attendance numbers and avoid some empty seat embarrassment.
Regardless, it’s nice to hear that Florida might be turning things around a bit. The team is probably another year or so from being a contender, but there’s finally some justification for optimism in Sunrise.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)