Oct 12, 2010, 5:35 PM EST
Sometimes I wonder how some teams make any money – or at least why some of them aren’t making a bigger fuss over losing a ton of it.
The Florida Panthers are one of those teams, as they haven’t made the playoffs (read: been relevant) in ages. The addition of Chicago Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon seems like it would just be a “behind the scenes” thing that wouldn’t register with most fans, but apparently the sweeping changes are capturing at least some people’s attention. The team announced that they “eclipsed” the 10,000 season ticket holder mark, a milestone the team hasn’t reached since 2001.
It’s not all good news for the Panthers at the box office, though. While the team spins it as a “more intimate seating capacity,” they decided to put a tarp over some of the nosebleed seats to fudge their attendance numbers and avoid some empty seat embarrassment.
Regardless, it’s nice to hear that Florida might be turning things around a bit. The team is probably another year or so from being a contender, but there’s finally some justification for optimism in Sunrise.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 1
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 25
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)