Oct 12, 2010, 12:50 PM EST
There’s a bunch of Detroit Red Wings-related injury/retirement news via Ansar Khan of MLive.com today and last night. Let’s take a look.
- Kirk Maltby is set to announce his retirement today. The grinder has been a fixture in Detroit for most of his 16-year NHL career and Khan points out that he’s one of only four Red Wings to play on all four Stanley Cup teams since 1997 (the others being Tomas Holmstrom, Nicklas Lidstrom and Kris Draper). Khan captured the spirit of his career quite well.
During his prime, Maltby was a premier grinder and penalty-killer, one of the hardest players in the league to play against because of his physical, agitating style. He was a mainstay on the club’s heralded Grind Line, with Kris Draper and Darren McCarty, for many years.
- In injury news, defenseman Doug Janik was recalled from the minors while Kris Draper was placed on the injured reserve. Draper’s on the short-term IR (seven days) rather than the LTIR.
- Janik was probably called up to shore up their defense instead of Draper’s injury, though. That’s because two Red Wings defensemen appear to be on the mend. Jonathan Ericsson is sidelined with a sore back (though an MRI didn’t show anything serious) and Brian Rafalski will undergo arthroscopic knee surgery at noon today.
So the Red Wings are a little banged up already this season. Khan guesses that their lineup will look like this today.
Abdelkader (ribs, day-to-day) and Draper are out.
The biggest obstacle for the Red Wings seems to be age and the natural increase in injuries that come with it. Congratulations to Maltby on a great career and good luck to Detroit as they deal with allegedly minor injury issues.
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 13
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 14
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 65
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 17
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 16
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (65)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)