Oct 12, 2010, 12:50 PM EST
There’s a bunch of Detroit Red Wings-related injury/retirement news via Ansar Khan of MLive.com today and last night. Let’s take a look.
- Kirk Maltby is set to announce his retirement today. The grinder has been a fixture in Detroit for most of his 16-year NHL career and Khan points out that he’s one of only four Red Wings to play on all four Stanley Cup teams since 1997 (the others being Tomas Holmstrom, Nicklas Lidstrom and Kris Draper). Khan captured the spirit of his career quite well.
During his prime, Maltby was a premier grinder and penalty-killer, one of the hardest players in the league to play against because of his physical, agitating style. He was a mainstay on the club’s heralded Grind Line, with Kris Draper and Darren McCarty, for many years.
- In injury news, defenseman Doug Janik was recalled from the minors while Kris Draper was placed on the injured reserve. Draper’s on the short-term IR (seven days) rather than the LTIR.
- Janik was probably called up to shore up their defense instead of Draper’s injury, though. That’s because two Red Wings defensemen appear to be on the mend. Jonathan Ericsson is sidelined with a sore back (though an MRI didn’t show anything serious) and Brian Rafalski will undergo arthroscopic knee surgery at noon today.
So the Red Wings are a little banged up already this season. Khan guesses that their lineup will look like this today.
Abdelkader (ribs, day-to-day) and Draper are out.
The biggest obstacle for the Red Wings seems to be age and the natural increase in injuries that come with it. Congratulations to Maltby on a great career and good luck to Detroit as they deal with allegedly minor injury issues.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 7
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 2
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 10
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 8
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 26
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4